2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

D.O.T. Approved headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 02:51 PM
ammmze
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D.O.T. Approved headlights

Does anyone know if these 1pc headlights are D.O.T. approved?

I just got them for Christmas but am not sure if they are DOT approved. On the heatlights themselves they say DOT HB5, im not sure if that means they are DOT approved or not. Does anyone know where to go to find this information out?

Thanks

Old 12-25-2006, 04:16 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: D.O.T. Approved headlights

They've got a DOT molded in the lense, but who knows if it's real or if they just made the molds from OEM stuff.

Old 12-25-2006, 05:31 PM
ammmze

lol, of course, what would be the worst that could happen if I put them on and they are not DOT approved and someone finds out.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:42 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

If they have a DOT stamp on them, any law enforcement officer will not ticket you for them.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:46 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

those are the same ones i want to put on my truck.. nice.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:43 PM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

Safest thing is to leave them stock. Unless you have the light so far out of aim or drivcing with brights on at night without dimming, cops wont think twice. Never understood why people have the need to mess with headlights and taillights. Those arent as bad as some of the kiddies around here do. They PAINT the lenses so they look like projectors or they toss in those cheapo "HID" kits not realising they are losing USABLE light just to 'look cool'. Seen one kid with a mid 80's cav or something paint his taillights so they were 2 circles like a vettes. Hits his brakes and the light showed partially through the paint.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:22 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats just right.. its all show. Most people dont care about safety and would rather have somthing that looks cool then works properly. The vettes look cool, but one blow to the side door and your car flys into a million peices.. looks > safety.

I for one think it would actually HELP my beams of light, my front lenses are so yellow and smogy i put some silverstars in them and they dont look any better, all the oxidation in them made them look like ****, ide rather just get some euros and pay 30 extra bucks instead of getting some stock ones. Either way there going to be better then the ones i have, im also replacing me fogs, they are just as bad as my heads.. oxidation and cracked.. i just replaced the bulbs in those with some silverstars and they look a little better, but new euro heads, and clear fogs would work ALOT better.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:00 PM
ammmze

I just ordered some Silverstars Ultra for 29.95 and once I get those I will install these things.

Speaking of fog lights. What do I need to look for for replacement fog lights, I would like to replace both the casing and the bulb, I am not even sure if the bulbs are any good. This may sound stupid but when do the fog lights actually come on? Do they automatically come on with your headlights? I think somewhere on this forum they said that they turn off when you turn your headlights to high beam. Anyways, I dont think I have ever seen my fog lights on, so I think the bulbs are dead.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:22 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to turn your fog lights on all you have to do is pull out on the headlight switch. and when you switch to highbeams then the fogs turn off.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:26 PM
ammmze

lol, thanks thats not hard to do yet i couldnt figure it out...lol but i didnt try to hard cuz i dont need them much in arizona its always sunny.

What about the bulb does anyone know the model of the bulb?

Quick Reply: D.O.T. Approved headlights