2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Possible shift lock silinoid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 03:14 PM
ladygray
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible shift lock silinoid?

2001 Dakota Quad - Tried to go to work this a.m. but could not get truck out of park. Drove fine last night Break light comes on when break is pressed.
I don't hear any clicking or noises coming from steering cloumn when key is ON and stepping on break pedal repeatedly. Have moved steering wheel back & forth while pressing break pedal, have tried pushing shift lever furthr into park and holding while pressing on the break repeatedly - Have tried to "fool" it by turning key to ON, pressing breakand trying to move shifter into netural - Nothing works Am I looking at the shift lock silinoid or something like a locked up shiftcable or shifter inside the cloumn or is itinside the transmission "parking prawl". If this is the problem can I do myself or should I shell out and take it to the garage?

Old 12-26-2006, 10:38 PM
kurbycar32
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Possible shift lock silinoid?

if it were a ford i would say the nuetral saftey switch would be worth looking at. check your manual and see if dodge uses one of those

Old 12-27-2006, 06:55 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Possible shift lock silinoid?

solenoid
brake
pawl

Too tired to think about your problem though.

Quick Reply: Possible shift lock silinoid?