2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Looking for good advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 03:57 AM
msd143
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for good advice!!!

I have a 99 sport 5.2L 5spd 4x4. I am thinking about doing some upgrades to it but don't know where to start. I am an old chevy guy and don't know a lot about mopar. I hear people talk about CAI, What is this and the M1 intake,what is the spec for this intake and is it TB. I am looking to build an agressive but streetable truck.

Where is a good place to get mopar aftermarket parts besides summit or jegs?

And also has any one ever heard about someone slamming a 4x4? Will it work?

Old 12-29-2006, 04:19 AM
msd143
Default RE: Looking for good advice!!!

It just hit me what CAI is. Cold Air Intake. duh!!

Old 12-29-2006, 04:37 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

si, CAI = Cold Air Intake.

I have a M-1 on my truck, its replaces the stock Manifold, M-1 is a Intake manifold not a TB, the TB sits on top of it.

I dont have a 4x4 but im building a truck simular to what your looking to do.

CAI, Exhuast, Chip/Programmer, Headers, andTrottle Body are the easiest to add on, then you can move on up to cams, heads, lifters, manifolds, injectors, turbo, s/cers, ect...

If i find parts its useally on the internet at random sites, ebay is a good place to start just make sure there a decent member. Ive goten riped on ebay like 4 times so far.. but thats becuase people dont pay me. ;(

Old 12-29-2006, 05:38 AM
msd143

will the stock TB work on the M1 intake?

Old 12-29-2006, 07:33 AM
lil
Captain

mods are pretty much the same Dodge vs. Chevy.....CAI anda high flow muffler and cat makes for some nice sound and power upgrades not to mention better gas mileage if you keep your foot outof it and a chip upgrade....if gas budget it not a big deal......but for me I am sticking with 87 oct. so I have yet to chip mine but I want to get rid of the mpg/rpm limit.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:49 PM
msd143

what about slamming a 4x4?

People probly would think it would be stupid but that is what I have. Unless someone out there wants to trade a good 4x4 for a good 2WD.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:07 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was thinking on slamming my 4x4a while ago too. I looked into it and it wasnt gonna be that hard. it all depends on how low you wanna go though. if you want a pavement scraper then it will cost you alot of money. I changed my mind now and I'm gonna lift it over the winter instead. it's more practical. I just googled it and alot of information came up on lowering.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:25 PM
msd143

OK another Question!!
I have read about people saying their trucks haveing and eratic idel when they come to a stop. someone said that there might be a gasket that is bad on or near the TB. I looked down the TB and there is a lot of oil in the intake but no puddles of oil and my truck also uses oil and I have no external leaks. So where is this gasket located and what is it called.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:37 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is called the intake plenum gasket. it is on the bottom of your intake manifold. so you will have to take your manifold off to fix it. how much oil do you have on the bottom? it is normal to have a light coat of oil on it but if there is any puddles in there then you have a problem. also did you put a small mirror down the tb to look in the corners? cause thats where most of it gathers. how much oil are you using?

Old 12-29-2006, 03:43 PM
msd143

No I did not use a mirror but I will I use probably a quart every three months, When I remember to change the oil it has always ben about a quart low.

Quick Reply: Looking for good advice!!!