2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Steering fix -WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 05:29 PM
white97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering fix -WOW!

I had an alignment done about 2 months ago and ever since my truck seemed to be a little sloppy in the steering. It wandered and required more input to stay in my lane. I searched this forum for possible solutions and there it was- Adjust the steering gear. TSB 19-10-97 refers to it as "Over-center " adustment. Total fix time was just over an hour and most of that was searching for the right tools to do the job. It's kind of tight quarters down in there and I had to play the "Is it metric or standard?" game for a bit.It took just under a half turn on the adjuster to eliminate the problem. I have to wonder if the shop that did the alignment loosened this so they could sell me some more parts/service, or if the out of spec toe-in condition I had before the alignment was just covering up the sloppy steering box. Doesn't matter now I guess. I can drive with one thumb on the wheel again(don't try this at home)instead of a death grip on the wheel trying to keep the truck where I want it.This forum is GREAT and thanks to all for the advice and DIY info on all things Dakota!!

Old 12-30-2006, 07:03 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Steering fix -WOW!

glad to hear it was an easy fix

Old 01-04-2007, 10:12 AM
DaMang

I searched this forum for possible solutions and there it was- Adjust the steering gear. TSB 19-10-97 refers to it as "Over-center " adustment.

Where is the steering gear located?

Old 01-05-2007, 09:03 PM
white97

The steering gear is in the steering box at the end of the steering wheel shaft. Mine sits below the power steering pump. The adjuster is on the top and it is a socket head screw (use allen wrench) with a locknut on it. I hope this helps you out.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:08 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 97's will have a siginaw box on them and 99+ have rack and pinion steering. so I dont know if you cna adjust them or not.

Quick Reply: Steering fix -WOW!