2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

cowl induction/ram air hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 04:27 PM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default cowl induction/ram air hood

i was thinking about a cowl induction or ram air hood. now i know how ram air works but how exactly does a cowl induction hood work? does the air curve back around or does it let hot air out? i have found conflicting information on the web so i figured i'd ask on here

Old 01-01-2007, 11:57 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: cowl induction/ram air hood

in older chevelles the cowl hood would open up letting cooler air in. now the hoods are mainly for show. some hoods have holes in the back off them to let out the air and some are solid. the ram air connects to the factory or aftermarket airbox giving fresh cooler air all the time.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:08 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a ram air hood "functional" there is a hole on the left side of the hood where the ramed air flows into my airbox. You can check it out in my gallery.

Both scoops work, the air is pushed to the left side and ramed down to the air box.. it works great. I had a friend rev up while i stuck my hand near the scoops, and they both suck in pretty nice. The left one intakes a little more then the right, but they both work...

I was thinking in the the future to have a custom TT system installed where the turbo intakes come to 2x holes on my hood like it is now, so that way my hood will scoop the air and my turbos will suck it in even harder.. i think it would look pretty bad ***, and also work like i think.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:34 AM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain

would it be possible to get a ram air hood like my dad had on his 65 GTO where the hood like locks down around the breather if i took the stock intake off and replaced it with a breather?

Old 01-02-2007, 05:16 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

are you talking about a shaker?

Old 01-02-2007, 07:57 PM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain

umm i'm not sure what a shaker is. all i know is my dads 65 GTO had a ram air hood and it just like locked down around the breather there was no tubing or air box or anything.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:07 PM
RJTDakotaBoy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure it could be done. Now if I'm correct as to what you mean by breather... air box? if so, then it'll be complicated because old vehicles sat on the top of the engine so air came straight in where as today's vehicles they're on the side so it'd need a course to go through to get to the airbox. Personally I think someone should try to re-create the old GTO technology where there is a switch in the vehicle so you can open and close the ram air vents as you please... pretty nifty I thought!

And if I'm wrong as to breather.... well I'm sorry! I'm still recovering from the New Year

Old 01-08-2007, 02:16 AM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain

no i mean actually having the air element on top of the engine cause i know you can get one like that for these engines i've seen it done. can you get a hood for this style air intake?

Old 01-08-2007, 02:21 AM
RJTDakotaBoy
Professional

I'd imagine so, might take a bit of hunting and looking but I'm sure you could.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:51 AM
Minion
Professional

cowl hoodsallow more room in the engine compartment,and i heard that create a vaccum and pull in air but dont qoute me on that. i personally would go with a ram air hood, but it not my truck i think they both look really cool though

Quick Reply: cowl induction/ram air hood