2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Oil pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 08:03 PM
kerryrey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure problem

OK so normally I just read and have never signed up before, however I find myself in need of a good answer. So my question is on a 99 5.2 (318) Dakota 4x4. Two days ago the oil pressure gauge dropped and came back up right away (this was early in the cold Minnesota morning). Funny enough it was going in for a brake job that day. The shop was told about the oil problem that morning, so they looked into it and said it needed an oil sending unit. So they replaced it with a generic part. Had the same problem (oil pressure gauge dropping). So they went to the local Dodge dealer and got a Mopar part. They shop said as the truck left that it had dropped one time after putting the OEM part in, but everything has been running fine and the pressure seems to be just fine now. Well about 50(that right I said 50) miles later the truck died and so back to the shop it went. They now tell me that the oil sending unit failed and it is not their fault and the engine is now done for and needing to be replaced. Have there been real problems with this engine or setup in the Dakotas. I see Durango’s have all sorts of these issues ( http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...e_dur_oil.html)

Please anyone who knows anything about this please help!!!

Quick Reply: Oil pressure problem