2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Converting to Disk Brakes from Drums and changing axle?

Old 01-05-2007, 01:54 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Converting to Disk Brakes from Drums and changing axle?

I was talking to my dad today, and we got into a conversation, if i was going to convert to rear disk from drum why not just get a new axle and increase performance also.

What is the stockaxle on a 2000dakota R/T i thought it was 375 Im probably wrong..

What i want to do, if possible, is find a axle that takes less turns to increase high end speed and better mpg and lower rpms, andthat will allow me to use disks/slotted rotors.

Is this possible? Will going with a smaller axle really make a diffrence. I know it will mess up my guages but im not really worried about that it can be fixed.... also will it do anything to my low end torque?

Old 01-05-2007, 02:05 AM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Converting to Disk Brakes from Drums and changing axle?

well with the smaller rear, its just a smaller ring gear, i beleive there should be something out their for you, with the drum to disk swap, i think its possible with the current axle, but your better off finding a different axle with all the brake hardware, dont quote me on this since im not that to sure about it, plus im not sure it its true but i hear you have to replace your master cylinder, i dont believe you do but then again, dont quote me, just giving you an idea

Old 01-05-2007, 02:22 AM
lodakota99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About the disc brake conv. I have been looking at the kit from stainless steel brake corp. they seem to have the only one out there that I've found.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:24 AM
lodakota99

http://www.ssbrakes.com/

Old 01-05-2007, 02:32 AM
kurbycar32
Veteran

the trick is to find a rear axle from a dodge that has disk brakes already and just swap it all as a whole. im not that familiar with the dodge line but when i had a ranger the plan was to replace the rear axle with one from a more expensive vehicle with better options. in my case the ford explorer was based on the same chassis but was available with disk brakes. im guessing you could probably find a durango or something with available disk brakes and swap in that axle with little or no modification.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:44 AM
lil
Captain

Both my 03 SXT and my 04 SLT have rear disc and seem to have a smoother stop than drum and less likely to lock durning hard stops with the ABS, I have also read that is makes for better breaking on turns to keep from loosing control by having the rear tires lock up, I would think if you installed drilled and slotted rotors on the front and rear you would really have a good breaking package.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

my rear drums are pissin me off. They are constantly squeeking and I already had them adjusted and refinished twice. I actually wanted to know if the switch to discs were possible.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:09 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your best bet would be to find a complete rear axle from a dak/durango that already has disk brakes on it.

I think most r/t's came with 3.93 gears. if you went with a 3.55 it would give you more top end, but you will lose a lil bit of bottom end.

or you can keep your rearend you have now and convert it to disc brakes and then put a locker in it with 3.55 gears.

I think you also have to get a bigger master cylindar since the calipers need more fluid then the wheel cylindars.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:17 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bingo - grab the rear axle off a dak/durango (make sure it's a 9 1/4 though) with discs and also grab the master cyl/booster. You may need the proportioning valve as well, if it's external. I don't know much about the brake systems in these things, so I'm not sure if it is or not. I do know that I hate ABS though.

Slotted rotors are fine, but drilled rotors aren't worthwhile. They may be an upgrade, material-wise, over OEM, but they're more prone to cracking and failure and they don't perform any better on a street vehicle.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:16 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: lodakota99

http://www.ssbrakes.com/
over 1k to convert and get slots on rear and front. Woot! I think ill go down to the junkyard and see if i can find a new axle... hell with over 1k i can get my new suspension or even a body kit... I was thinking it would be about 600 or so, but o well, looks like i got some saving to do, but i have to admit those slotted rotors and with a red powder coat those brakes would be killer... i love dreaming.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Converting to Disk Brakes from Drums and changing axle?