2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

starter kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 04:29 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default starter kill switch

i just got this ingenious idea for a starter kill switch. for the automatics, all you gotta do is turn the key to start the truck, and i want to put a kill switch that will prevent the starter from activating, so i thought about it and came up with the idea how manuals work, depress the clutch pedal to activate the ignition switch for the starter.. pretty much you have an automatic, with a clutch pedal, and you need to depress the clutch pedal to override the kill switch and when you turn the ket all the way to start, the truck will start but if you dont press in the clutch pedal, truck wont start, good idea?

Old 01-13-2007, 05:46 PM
red9535
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: starter kill switch

My buddy did something very similar to this in his grand prix.. its just a little button on the bottom side of the steering column, small and youd never know its there, but you have to hold it down otherwise the car wont start. Just an added safety measure.. someone couldnt steal his car even if they had the key.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:14 PM
f0x672
Champion

thats definately something i want to do, but i like the whole use the clutch pedal as a switch, not sure though

Old 01-13-2007, 07:12 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star

Yeah I had something like that I made on my last dakota. I made it with a bunch of relays. When you got in the truck just turning the key wouldn't start the truck. You had to turn the key to run and a light on the dash would light red. Then you had to press the horn button, but the horn would not honk. The light would then turn from red togreen and you could start the truck, then the light would go out and the horn would work normally again. When you tun the ignition off it resets.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:15 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same thing to my 88 dak acouple months ago. exept for mine you have to push a button on the dash to start it. and the key still has to be in the ignition. all I did was ran a wire from the starter to the cab, and a wire from the battery to the cab. then got a push button switch and mounted it on the dash. so you can turn the truck over with the switch but you need the key to actually start it.

noboy knows how to start it exept for acouple of my buddys and the guy that did the alignment on it. he came back in 5 minutes later saying the truck wouldn't start. so I had to tell him that you have to push the button on the dash to start it

Old 01-13-2007, 11:34 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

I just put in a alarm, if you dont unlock the truck with the FOB it doesnt start, also I live in iowa nice to not have to scrape the windows, plus easier on the truck leting it warm up!

Old 01-14-2007, 03:39 PM
white97

why would you want to hang a clutch pedal in an automatic? Seems like anyone trying to steal it would try pushing in the clutch at some point to start it. I like the hidden switch idea and the horn button thing sounds cool but a bit complicated. How about a system that disables the fuel pump?

Old 01-14-2007, 08:46 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

I just thought of a good idea

what if you hook it up to your e brake pedal. so you have to push your e brake down to let it start. so it's almost like your clutch pedal idea, exept it's your ebrake pedal. then you would have no extra switches/pedals for them to look for.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:33 AM
f0x672
Champion

i like the ebrake idea, except i always apply the ebrake.. haha i should make the trip meter switch the starter button.. haha.. i dont want to mess with the fuel lines, my approach was just tackle the ignition switch on the starter line since it would be easier, a 2 post switch, i jsut want to disable the truck from being able to activate the starter, i should hide like a small switch under my floor mat, push on a certain part of the mat and viola, she starts.. so find that type of button, or pressure pad type swtich.. ahhh the difficulty

Old 01-16-2007, 02:19 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

on the old trucks they had a push button high beam switch!

my old 82 ram had that. it was on the floor. I think that would work mint.

Quick Reply: starter kill switch