2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need help with Harmonic Balancer/Crank Pulley Removal/vibartion damper removal any help welcomed

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 03:08 AM
Pontgt01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Harmonic Balancer/Crank Pulley Removal/vibartion damper removal any help welcomed

so i'm trying to replace the oil seal on my dads 99' ram
2500 5.9L and so far i've removed the crankshaft pulley. but i'm having a lot of trouble trying to remove the dampener (vibration damper) my books say that i have to remove the big bolt and washer from the damper.it says that i may have to hold the crankshaft from moving. the only problem is that everything i do to keep the crankshaft from moving fails. so do you guys have any idea on how to keep crankshaft from moving? i tried putting something in the open holes on the damper to keep it from moving but it still moves. so any idea's on how to keep the damper from moving? the truck has about 115,000 miles or so and i'm thinking its rusted on and i should heat it up to loosen it. what do you think good or bad idea? but this is only as a last resort. 2 other people said i should use an strap wrench and another said i should block the rear wheels and put it in gear and try it that way. so do you guys have any idea on how to keep the crankshaft from moving? just long enough to loosen the nut and washer?please don't hesitate to let me know. thanks.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:39 AM
kurbycar32
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need help with Harmonic Balancer/Crank Pulley Removal/vibartion damper removal any help welcomed

impact wrench does it for me every time

Old 01-16-2007, 01:49 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts
Default RE: Need help with Harmonic Balancer/Crank Pulley Removal/vibartion damper removal any help welcomed

can you post some pics of the balancer? and pulley?

Quick Reply: Need help with Harmonic Balancer/Crank Pulley Removal/vibartion damper removal any help welcomed