2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Taking off Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 11:40 PM
Rocco715
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking off Dashboard

Can anyone tell me how to take the dashboard off of my 01 dakota or refer me to any websites that provide tutorials? I've always had my stereo work done by pros but i'd like to know how to take it off for some custom interior lighting. Any help would be appreciated thankyou.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:45 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Default RE: Taking off Dashboard

just the stereo or the whole dash? www.the12volt.com is were id go, ive done some but not on a 01

Old 01-20-2007, 01:03 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude, you dont wanna remove the whole dash. it is a PITA to do.[:@]

if your talking about just the front of the dash. just stick a screw driver behind it and pry on it. it just clips on.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:56 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya the front of the dash just pops right off easy as 1 2 3... and then taking the deck out (if stock) is easy to to nuts hold it in place, if its a/m then just get some pioneer keys and pull it out most decks work with pioneer keys..

its not hard at all. If you want to take off the whole dash to do somthing else then ya thats a pain.. but to get to the radio all you need to take off is the front of the dash its ez.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:58 PM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

Best thing to do to add some "custom" lighting (which I'm thinking he's installing neon) is to remove the panel under teh steering wheel and the glove box. Thats about ALL you should need to remove. Dash shouldnt come out unless its absolutely needed to replace the heater core or a/c condensor.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:38 AM
4x4kota
Veteran

To gain access to the main radio portion of the dash for my truck should be very similar to yours. There should be three bolts under the steering coulum holdin that panel in place, remove those three bolts and then pull the panel towards the seat.I believe that now all you have to do is slowly pull and pry the dash panel off. I also remember having to put my truck in neutral to be able to remove the main dash panel (be careful your not parked on an angle, if so apply e-brake) also as you start to remove the panel carefully disconnect the various switches, starting with the headlights (which i found to be the most difficult one) then the 4x4, and the abs. That should be all. Hope this helped.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:29 AM
Rocco715

[align=left]Well I don't need to gain access to the deck I already have an after market. I wanted to do some custom lighting with some wiring and I don't know if its from the cold or my sub but there seems to be more rattles coming from the dash and i'd like to find those becuase they drive me crazy [&:] when I just want to cruise
[/align]

Quick Reply: Taking off Dashboard