2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4x4 Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 11:54 PM
kuxika
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 Help

my truck was making a clanking noise when in 4wheel not constent but once in a while. i was able to get it looked at for free sister in law works in the service dept at a ford dealership (maybe thats the problem) the mech. told me the boot on my frnt drive line is torn and broke an o-ring all the lube is gone and i need a new drive line. i looked under briefly, cant find no boots on my drive shaft. theres boots on my cv's is that what hes talking about? im gonna inspect it further this weekend. they got me a frnt drive line for 140$ used. im gonna wait to have it ordered see what more info i can find out any input would help. thanks

Old 01-23-2007, 02:23 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 4x4 Help

Yeah he's talking about the CV shaft. Usually when those go out you get the clunking when making turns. I had both of mine go bad in my 92 taurus. Simple fix especially if you have access to a lift and air tools. [8D]

Old 01-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Depending on how long ago the boots failed, you might have to replace the front axels.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:36 PM
kuxika

alright guys just got out from under my truck looked at the cv boots all looks good dont see no rips in any boots talked with the mech. again. told me theres a boot on the frnt end of the drive shaft that goes into the diffriential, im not seing it. the clanking happens going straight once in awhile all the time when im climbing a hill.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:48 PM
maine_guy04055

probably the universal in the front shaft

Old 01-28-2007, 01:10 AM
Erich_121
Veteran

First of all just because a CV joints boot isnt torn doesnt mean its not partialy broken. I dont think its a CV joint because you said it happens when going forward. CV joints making clicking/clunking noises when turning. Sounds to me like you need some new U-joints. Most likly a double cardan and maybe the U-joint on the front Diff. So i would replace the 3 U-joints. I was having a simlar problem and it ended up be U-joints. Most of the time thats what it is. You said it only happens in 4 wheel so you know it has to be something with the front driveline and that rules out a CV joint because your front axle still spins in 4 wheel drive. Replace the U-joints and post back.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:41 PM
SLINKER

"the clanking happens going straight once in awhile all the time when im climbing a hill."

There is a Technical Service Bulletin for Dodge Dakotas (i think 97-01) that talks about the same thing.

I had the same problem with my 98 dakota 4x4 when I backed up my driveway. It also has an incline, and I heard the clunking noise I believe you are talking about.

There is a TSB that mentions the cab mounting collars underneath the truck in the back that were made manufactured too long. If you can find the TSB, it has directions on how to fix this problem. It requires removing the collars, 1 at a time, and grinding down the center collar approximately 1/4" to 3/8" to stop the clunking noise. I had to do this and the problem went away.
I thought the same thing as you did, that something was coming from the front end. The sound is very hard to pin point, but if you try to listen for it while going up a hill or driveway with all the windows down and/or someone outside listening for the location of the noise. I believe the clunking happens much more easily if you are going in reverse.

Try using google and search for "dakota TSB" or something like that.

If that isn't the problem, then it might be the upper control arm bushings up front. (assuming you have replaced both the upper ball joints and done regular maintenance, etc.)

Old 01-28-2007, 09:30 PM
98Dodger4x4
Veteran

mines makes a noise whens its cold

Old 01-28-2007, 11:28 PM
kuxika

yeah guys thanks for all the info. i got back under the beast to check it out some more apparently there is supose to be a boot around the frnt drive line towards the diff. mines missing it so im having my brother in law order me a frnt drive line for my truck if it doesnt have a boot on it then they can send it back and ill do my u joints. ill let you all know when it comes in.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:54 AM
kuxika

found the tear in the boot on my frnt drive shaft i put the new one in today i will try to post a pic of the drive shaft its on the end that bolts to the t.c. with it being torn and dry in there for so long it started to tear the metal outer plate. anyone had this problem? thinking on ways i can do something there for added protection anyone have some ideas. thanks for all the input. i cant figure this comp out if you want to see a pic of it email me.