2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

fan clutch/ bad gas mileage?

Old 02-02-2007, 11:30 PM
rhowe
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan clutch/ bad gas mileage?

dropped about 5 mpg in the past month or so on my 3.9L, finally found that the fan clutch has some play in it which tells me the clutch has seen better days. would that effect the gas mileage that much? any body want to do a good write up on how to replace this thing? oh, and which brand name should i look for? thanks for any help!! Ryan

Old 02-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Erich_121
Veteran
Default RE: fan clutch/ bad gas mileage?

Well if the clutch was stuck on all the time it would hurt your gas mileage. You would be able to tell because it would make a loud "roar" sound all the time. It should only make that noise for a little bit after you start it cold. If you have play in it, but its operating correctly then i wouldnt worry about it.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Minion
Professional

if the fan has play in it, then that could put alot of stress on the engine and that might cause a loss in gas mileage, or if the clutch doesnt disengage and it spins as fast as the engine that would put stress on the engine causing bad gas mileage. if i was you i would just take it off and put an elecric fan on.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:11 PM
rhowe
Professional

wish i could but i dont think i could afford an electric fan right now so i'm gunna have to replace the clutch for now. any helpful tips out there??

Old 02-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Erich_121
Veteran

You need to take the 4 fan shroud screws out first. Then find yourself a strap wrench. With the belt off wrap the wrench around the water pump pulley. Then get a very large wrench, i think its 1-1/4, and place it around the nut. While holding tension on the strap wrench hit the wrench COUNTER clockwise to knock the nut free. Then spin the nut off and remove the fan clutch and shroud. To install do the vise versa.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:49 PM
rhowe
Professional

thanks, thats a big help. it sounds pretty easey. the local shop wanted $360.yeah right!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fan clutch/ bad gas mileage?