2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Quick answer "chippped" 4.7 Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Doo Hauler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick answer "chippped" 4.7 Help!

I have one of the "Black Ice" resistors on my '02 gen 2 4.7l 4x4. If the purpose of this resistor is to make the motor rhink it is receiving 52* air. What happens when it's 10* or less out? I know these are not the best improvement available but it fit my budget and I have noticed a bit more grunt which is what I need for towing. It has not had any impact on my MPG at this point. I am heading out on a 1300mi trip tomorrow and would like some input. I will be towing my 2 sleds and open alum trailer.

Thansk

Old 02-10-2007, 12:38 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Quick answer "chippped" 4.7 Help!

your motor will still function the same. its when its 100 out and the motor has trouble. if you have a cai the best thing to do is relocate your iat sensor. doing this will get it out of engine heat and into cooler incoming air. by doing this the sensor will still be able to read the peramiters it is designed for. as for the resistor its just that. a single temp reading that does only one thing. bump the timing using more fuel.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:43 AM
Doo Hauler

I just took the resistor out and hooked her back up stock. I will see how my fuel consumption/power is. Then compare two tanks of fuel going across South Dakota. One without resistor and one with. I will update in a couple weeks when I get back.

Thanks

Old 02-23-2007, 02:53 AM
Doo Hauler

Just got back from my trip to Wyoming and I have to admit I am quite pleased on how well the Dakota pulled. 2500 miles round trip pulling a 2 place (aluminum) snowmobile trailer with sleds and the back end full of gear and food for 3 people. Averaged 11.8MPG pulling at 50-93MPH. The 93MPH was down hill getting a run at a long grade and the 50 at the top od the long grade. Traveling on I-90 across Wyoming and S. Dakota with the cruise set at 80 and tow/haul (overdrive) disengauged running about 3k RPM. Clicked along nicely and eventhough it rolled 100k mi on the way home burned no oil on the trip.

On the way out I ran without the Black Ice "chip" installed for the first two tanks of gas at the third stop I reinstalled the "chip" and to be quite honest I did not notice any major or minor change in performance or fuel economy. The "chip" is still in there and I am not sure what I might do at this point with it.

The good news is now that the truck has proved itself I will spend some money on mods. CAI, Flowmaster 50 SUV series 1 in 2 out and considering 2" lift and taller tires. If I go with the taller tires I will need to change my gearing to keep the ratio about the same. Possible 3:73's to replace the current 3:55's. Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Doo Hauler

Quick Reply: Quick answer "chippped" 4.7 Help!