2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

front suspension dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Dailydragger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front suspension dilemma

Has anyone attempted or owned a dakota that had airbags installed? I'm getting ready to hack mine up to get it to lay out on 20's but the control arms are worrying me. The lower control arm looks as though it will hit the frame before the frame hits the ground and it doesn't look like a good idea to do too much "notching" around that area. The wheels are 20x8's with 255/35 tires. I'm aware of the modifications needed for the upper control arms, no big deal, but the lowers look suspect, too. Would it be possible to flip the lower balljoint around so that it faces up like an S-10 lower balljoint? Do I need to see about just buying a whole set of after market control arms? The truck is a 2002 2wd ext cab with the 4.7L. Thanks for any help guys, normally I get fantastic suggestions from everybody so hopefully that happens this time, too, lol.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:22 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Default RE: front suspension dilemma

how low are you going...2"? or more? Over 2 you will need drop spindles...have you ever done this before? No you cant flip the ball joint...

Old 02-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Dailydragger

Well, the truck is already lowered 4 in the front and 6 in the back using coil springs in the front and leafs and blocks in the back. I'm gonna lay the frame on the ground and nobody makes a drop spindle for my model Dakota, only the older ones like 96 and older. Yeah, this definitely ain't my first rodeo layin somethin on the ground just my first time with a dakota. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:45 AM
rtkota5point9
All Star

They DO make a spindle for your truck. But you aren't looking for a static drop anyways right? I know there are a few guys on bags, just not sure if they're on this forum or not.

Quick Reply: front suspension dilemma