2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Unsolved squeak

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Cheeto23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unsolved squeak

Hi! First post; new to this forum...

My wife and I have a 1998 Dakota; 5.2 V8, stick, which we've owned since new.We love the truck, but it's developed a squeak I haven't been able to solve. I'm not inept, I'm an auto tech by trade, but I'm stumped. I'm hoping someone else may have seen or dealt with this one before.

Over bumps, generally when the ambient temperature is cool, it squeaks loudly from the rear. I've tried lubing and tightening everything I can find. I removed the shocks and spare tire carrier to help isolate the noise, which seems to eminate from the forard front area from under the bed (2-wheel drive, std cab). I went ahead and replaced the rear shocks, which helps very little. Nothing appears loose: bed mounts, suspension mounting points and fuel tank straps are tight, no heat shields appear to be fouling. I've eliminated the tailgate as a suspect, as well as any e-brake cables. I'd almost guess that the fuel tank is the cause, because I've run out of ideas. Has anyone seen or dealt with a similar noise? It's very loud and annoying, and I am frustrated that it's evaded me this long.

Thanks.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:28 PM
98Dodger4x4
Veteran
Default RE: Unsolved squeak

Me I would check the rear springs for cracks.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Erich_121
Veteran

i had that problem with mine. It was that my tail pipe was rubbing on the body of the bed.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:36 PM
jake02
Rookie

Try checking the rubber bushings within the leaf springs and shackles.
I have the same problem with mine and this is what I have found mine squeaks from the front as well and it is coming from the sway arm bushings.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Cheeto23

Thanks for the replies.

I found that it is likely the rear leaf spring isolator/spring tip liner. If anyone else may have run into this one, there is a TSB regarding replacement of these parts: 02-05-00. If your local Dodge dealer is as helpful as mine was, they'll run you off a copy. If not, I can supply the particulars.

Quick Reply: Unsolved squeak