2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Power Steering squel "chirp"

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 02:49 AM
DevilDog17
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering squel "chirp"

I have a 99 Dakota 4x4 318 and it has now started to squel and make chirping sounds when im driving. I was backing out of the driveway and i turned the wheel and the it made a squeling noise and it isn't the belt. I believe it is the power steering pump or something.I think it's because it's 20 degrees here in Lee's Summit. When the truck is neutral and i rev the engine it doesn't make the noise, but once i start driving it makes a loud annoying squel and it is starting to make me mad. Once the engine gets up to temp it goes away. I've tried lubing pullys and nothing is working. Anybody know if it is the power steering or just the syptoms of cold weather?

Old 02-12-2007, 10:26 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Default RE: Power Steering sequel "chirp"

this is a symptom, sort of, it isn't "normal" but most likely it isjust cold, try flushing your power-steering fluid, may be your belt tensioner, beltor the pump too, but try that first.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Could be the belt. When you say that you "lube" the pulleys, are you using belt dressing? If you are using something like WD40, or another lubricant, you are in fact hurting yourself. The lube will not allow the belt to gain optimal contact with the pulleys. Also, using a petrolium based lube like WD40 will eventually start eating away at the rubber.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:10 PM
DevilDog17
Professional

Yeah I didn't use wd40 and nothing got the belt. The noise just started out of the blue one morning. Like this morning it didn't make the noise, but it probably will when i leave to go home. Im' going to drain the fluid and replace this week.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:19 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine squealls when its -10 or below. last week it got to -25 and I didnt have any power steering until things warmed up a lil bit. but I woud change your fluid, that will help it out a bit.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:46 PM
TopWop

I put a new pack and pinion in my 2000 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 4.7engineabout two yrs ago. It appears like the damn thing is going again. Its a bitch to turn the steering wheel early in the morning when its extremely cold outside.I put a bottle of that Lucas Rack/Pinion stuff inside the power steering container and it helped out alot.

Quick Reply: Power Steering squel "chirp"