2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

A little snow anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 05:34 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A little snow anyone?

Well with the weather here in southern California, the closest snow for me is on Big Bear Mountain.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:33 AM
DurangoDanger

ORIGINAL: gutted

ORIGINAL: Ethica19

We've got about 2 feet of snow, the truck does fine in the snow, I need new tires though. I'm putting in a 3" lift this weekend and getting some 32 bridgestone, this should help traction a little
Actually, for snow driving you want the skinniest tire possible (to an extent.. motorcycle tires won't do well on your truck!). Chances are the 32's you'll be putting on will be wider than what you got now.

I don't understand, wouldn't you want the widest tires to provide the most surface area that can make contact with the road? Why would you want less surface area?

I lvoe the snow though, I got a Durango, and that bad boy will go anywhere in the snow or ice, with enough power to properly enjoy the ice ;-) if you know what I mean

Old 02-16-2007, 06:37 AM
2000Dakotadriver
Rookie

The reason why you would want skinny tires is so that you have more psi on the road which aids in traction on ice and snow. If you just have big fat tires the weight of the vehicle will be spread out on a bigger foot print and just be floating over everything and not actually grabbing much.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:59 PM
DurangoDanger

I guess that kinda makes sense. I mean, I don't knwo if the trade off between having more pressure on a smaller surface area and having a wider, deeper, off-road tire would be worth it though. I mean, typically, the skinner tires will have less tread than an oversozed off road tire, so it would dig into the snow better. Ice, I can see the greater pressure being better, but snow I think the wider tire would be better.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Casper50
Veteran

Skinnier tires are better for the snow because they cut through the snow allowing you to gain traction. Wider tires act like snow shoes and keep you on top of the snow where there isn't any traction and turns your vehicle into a sled!

Old 02-16-2007, 04:35 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

Wide is good when ya want to float...say on mud...snow you want skinny, so you cut thru, and get to the pavement.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:57 AM
DevilDog17
Professional

No problems in Missouri. Just got some more snow tonight went out to the store and didn't have any problems. I love watching little cars and 2wd trucks have problems. Thatswhy I bought a tow strap for my friends who have crummy snow cars and trucks.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:10 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

Devil, I am straying from the Durango Forum, but Could I get a OOH RAH. I am USMC VET "SWINGING WITH THE WING"

Old 02-17-2007, 09:16 PM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol i just burried my truck today in the snow. i was plowing through some 2-3 foot snow drifts then there was one that was up to the top of the hood of my truck. I romped it and plowed through no problem but i lost so much momentem that i got high centered on this little 2 foot snow drift. a tractor got stuck trying to get me out. then i dug out some snow from around the tires rocked it back and fourth and it came right now. guy with tractorgave me a pretty good lecture though lol. i still have to dig all the snow out of my motor. its all up around the fan and radiator

Old 02-17-2007, 09:49 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was doing that with the 88 dak the other day I love hitting drifts.

my engine bay is full of snow and my tranny linkage was soo packed full of snow I coudnt change gears. I busted a piece off my grill cause I thought it was fluffy snow, but there was a chunk of ice in it... oh well, I'll have to get one from a junkyard once summer comes

I've only been stuck twice this winter, and once was when I bew a tire and ended up in the ditch[:@]

Quick Reply: A little snow anyone?