2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Key won't turn

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 12:51 PM
suthie80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key won't turn

Anyone else have this problem ? I went out the start my truck this morning , put the key in the ignition and it wouldn't turn at all. I tried cranking on the steering wheel, hitting the shift lever but nothing worked. So I went inside and opened up google and luckly I found a forum out there that discussed this exact problem. Appartently it's a common problem with Chrysler products. So I read on the formum that if you hit the key with a mallet while its in the ignition it will work. So I gave it a try and IT WORKED !!!!!

Has anyone else had this problem ? I'm guessing that I will eventually have to replace the ignition but hopefully not right away.

Take it easy .

Old 02-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: Key won't turn

Be careful while doing this, not only will you most likely damage the ignintion, but the key as well. Try applying the brake while turning the wheel. I know you said you already did, also make sure the shifter is in park or neutral.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:15 PM
suthie80

Yeah I tried that a whole bunch of times and it didn't work. Any other suggestions that might be less risky ? Has anyone replaced an ignition cylinder before , how complicated is it ?

Thanks

Old 02-16-2007, 04:17 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

Im sure this isnt the problem, but ive had problems with other vehicles that the key gets worn over time and then dosnt work properly...

Old 02-16-2007, 08:51 PM
titan2087
Veteran

Iv had that happen to me before but after about 10 minutes of messing with the steering wheel jiggling the key and such it turned never had the problem again... But ya iv had that exact problem on my company truck aswell lol where the key was so worn out youd have to spend 5 minutes on it trying to get it to turn unless you new how to turn it just right lol it was so worn i could pull the key out of the igniton while it was running with littel effort.. but after i got a new key made it was fine

Old 02-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Billiam
Champion

Get a new key. I had a problem with a older car before, it wore out. So I went out and got a new key and it worked.

Quick Reply: Key won't turn