2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

A couple questoins on tires and a lift..

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:44 PM
red9535
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple questoins on tires and a lift..

Just so you guys know, i searched, but couldnt find exactly what i was looking for.

I have a 2002 2wd dakota. Im getting new tires. Right now they are 265/55/R16 i believe.. but i'm not sure how that converts to inches.

Anyway, what would you guys suggest? I want offroda tires.. im thinking bf goodrich t/a ko, but if theres a better tire i can get, let me know.. or a cheaper one thats as good or almost as good. What are the largest tires i could fit on my truck without lifting it?

Then, whats the best lift kit for a 2wd dakota? 2 inches would be ideal.. 3 inches maybe? idk. Anyone got any pics of their lifted dakotas and what they used? Then, if i lifted it 2 inches or 3 inches, wha twould be the size of tires i could fit then?

Old 02-21-2007, 10:52 PM
DakotaMan
Veteran
Default RE: A couple questoins on tires and a lift..

Your tires now are about 27.5x10.5...and for lift what do you want a body or suspension?

Old 02-22-2007, 12:03 AM
red9535
Professional

Well i assume the difference is the body lift just lifts the body but the actual suspension stays at the same height.. which would be worthless for offroading.. it actually might make things worse, becuase of a higher center of gravity.. more likely to tip. So if i'm correct in assuming that, then i'd say suspension lift for sure.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:20 AM
cleverusername
Rookie

fabtech has a fairly inexpensive 2" suspension lift for around 300. http://www.4wheelonline.com/Products...roductID=72043
i haven't done it yet but have looked into it and the biggest problem with the suspension lift is the wheels, the OE wheels won't fit due to backspacing and there is minor trimming. since your getting new tires great, you can usually get a tire and rim package at a good price. if your looking for a good tire both on/off road, i suggest the Pirelli Scorpion ATR.
its nice and sticky, really likes to grab the road and the dirt. i haven't had the luxury of being in the mud yet since its mostly sand around here but i love the tires. got around 7K on em.
http://www.mrtire.com/tiresearch.cfm...token=30033935
the biggest you can go just stock is 265/70R16. it fills out the wheel wells good.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:35 AM
red9535
Professional

That lift looks like exactly what i'm looking for.. So that would level it out, and lift it 2"?

So, if I get that lift, i can't use stock wheels? How come, too small or something? So that means not only do i have to replace the tires, but i need new rims too? Sounds like its getting expensive.. Any way i can get away with a lift and new tires, but stay with stock rims?

Old 02-22-2007, 02:15 AM
4x4kota
Veteran

I'm not tryin to shoot down you theory about the whole body lift will give you a higher centre of gravity... but a suspension lift will do the same by raising the truck up higher. Generally suspension lifts cost a lot more than a bodylift (depending what is included with the lift as well). In some cases you will have to purchase shocks not included in the kit. Also don't completely shoot down the idea of a body lift. ItWILL give you more ground clearance with the larger tires. someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i belive that in most cases the largest tire that will fit with a stock suspension is a 31x10.5x15 (sorry i don't know about a 16") but with a 3" bodylift you can fit a 33x10.5x15 (or larger) thus giving you more clearance.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:14 AM
red9535
Professional

ORIGINAL: 4x4kota

I'm not tryin to shoot down you theory about the whole body lift will give you a higher centre of gravity... but a suspension lift will do the same by raising the truck up higher. Generally suspension lifts cost a lot more than a bodylift (depending what is included with the lift as well). In some cases you will have to purchase shocks not included in the kit. Also don't completely shoot down the idea of a body lift. ItWILL give you more ground clearance with the larger tires. someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i belive that in most cases the largest tire that will fit with a stock suspension is a 31x10.5x15 (sorry i don't know about a 16") but with a 3" bodylift you can fit a 33x10.5x15 (or larger) thus giving you more clearance.
Well so whats the differene between a body lift and a suspension lift? What would the benefit be of lifting the suspension rather then just doing a body lift?

Old 02-22-2007, 01:34 PM
demarco0129
Professional

Body lift just uses spacers, and suspension lift replaces shocks, leaf springs, etc. Those are the main differences, I think, then again I am just learning. My 99 4x4 5 sp v6 came with a suspension lift and the torsion bars cranked up to level it out. Its got about 5 inches total on there and i love how it looks with just the 31's. However, it really makes the ride bumpy, and now that i put a 70 lb sand bag in the rear i really lost some gas mileage and power, but it does help the ride a little bit. Just thought I would warn you it might not be as good of an idea as you think. Dakotas are work trucks, not made for offroading really.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

A suspension lift works by replacing suspension components such as upeer and lower control arms, largers springs, shocks, rear leafs, etc... A body lift simply places blocks between the frame and the body.

Check out the suspension lift kit. http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com. The Fabtech lift mentioned earlier was just the leveling kit. Take a look at the actual 3" lift kit.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:04 PM
cleverusername
Rookie

there is a big difference between a body and a suspension lift. the body lift only lifts the body, yes it does allow for bigger tires but the clearance you gain is minimal. going from a 29" tire to a 32" gives you 1.5" of clearance underneath no matter how many inches you lift your body, your clearance is going to come from your tires.
if you do take it off-road. a suspension lift raises you whole truck giving you more clearance underneath and more once you add in bigger tires. 3" suspension lift = automatic 3" underneath, now add those 32's and you have 4.5"s underneath. it also looks better IMO!
a body lift
1: is for looks for a lot of people
2:gives the extra clearance for HUGE tires after a suspension lift.

http://mickeythompsontires.com/Tire_...Guide_2006.pdf
this might be helpful. not all the info is correct because according to their chart i should have at minimun a 2" body lift which i don't. but it gives a good idea of whats required.
i have mixed feelings on a body lift but if you just want to get bigger tires on there, go with a body lift. if you actually plan on going off-road, do the suspension.

Quick Reply: A couple questoins on tires and a lift..