2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Recalls

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 03:39 AM
jakebank
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recalls

This might be a dumb question but how do I find out if the previous owner of my truck had taken care of the recalls for this truck. Its a 2002 Dakota SportQC 4.7 4x4 Auto. I know the guy babied this truck and it was in immaculate condition when I bought it. I bought it in June and haven't had any problems yet (knock on wood) except for a power window breaking b/c it froze up. So is there a way I can find out if the recalls have been taken care of on this truck.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:59 PM
red9535
Professional
Default RE: Recalls

Umm find out what recals there were for that model, then check them?

lol

What do you want us to say? Either ask him, or find out what they are then check them yourself. If you find any specific ones you want to check, but dont know how, then post THAT and we'll be able to help

Old 02-24-2007, 04:12 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

with the VIN#

Old 02-24-2007, 04:33 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.dodge.com/owners/index.htmlHere is the link from the dodge site. Just type in the last 8 numbers of your vin where it says to and it will show you any recalls that haven't been performed on your truck yet.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:08 PM
01dakota
Rookie

ORIGINAL: red9535

Umm find out what recals there were for that model, then check them?

lol

What do you want us to say? Either ask him, or find out what they are then check them yourself. If you find any specific ones you want to check, but dont know how, then post THAT and we'll be able to help
This is a legit question man, dont be a dick.

You can either call or stop buy and dodge dealer, give them your vin and they will tell you where the truck was originally purchased, all the options your truck came with, all the recalls for that truck and if they were ever taken care of. There is no charge for this. I didn't try the link posted above but that may work the same way. I think it's better if you stoo in though because they will give you a print out of everything. You may have to ask for the pritout of all your options though.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:02 PM
jakebank
Rookie

Yeah I just found out the ball joints need to be done. I went through that link and it said that recall is imcomplete so I called the dealer the truck was originally purchased from and they said they can do it Friday so that is good. Thanks for all the info. Also does anyone know if an alignment needs to be peformed after the ball joints are fixed?

Old 02-26-2007, 02:44 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes you'll need an alignment and you'll probly have to pay for it too, I dont think they cover that under the recall.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:36 PM
2000Dakotadriver
Rookie

I didnt know about that site. I found out that my clockspring needs to be done. That would explain the grinding behind the steering wheel when turning.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

You might not need an alignment. If the Dodge service tech knows what he is doing, you shouldn't need one. They are only replacing the upper ball joint; not servicing or adjusting any other suspension component. You should be fine. However, if for some reason you begin to develop unusual tread wear, you know the guy was an idiot and turned your tie rods around or something. Put it this way, do you need an alignment after the upper ball joints are replaced? Probably not, but if you don't do the work yourself, you will never know what other suspension component was altered. Jonny is probably right to suggest getting an alignment, but in theory, nothing effecting alignment would have been changed.

Also, I would suggest going with the greasable ball joints.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:01 PM
jakebank
Rookie

Good deal thanks for all the good info

Quick Reply: Recalls