2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dumb question about 2 wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 04:04 PM
red9535
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb question about 2 wheel drive

In a 2 wheel drive (rear wheel) truck, do both of the rear wheels spin/get power? Or is there just 1 drive wheel? Because me and my buddy where in his AWD explorer messing around in the snow, and i only saw snow flying out from up under one of the front wheels, and i assume 1 of the back wheels.

So on our 2 wheel drive trucks, is there actually only 1 drive wheel? Which one is it? IS there any way to change it, like if 1 is on bad surface but the other isnt? I heard something about holding down the brake or puting on the Ebrake changing the drive wheel?

Old 02-24-2007, 04:12 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Default RE: Dumb question about 2 wheel drive

most likely you have a plain axle, you can always get a limited slip which if you don't have 4x4 on a truck i would highly recommend this would spin both wheels

Old 02-24-2007, 04:12 PM
red9535
Professional

How/where can I get that, how much would it be, easy to install. etc?

Old 02-24-2007, 05:03 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

you can change it in the stock rear end but im not sure what the cost would be havnt done it yet, guessing around 500-700 dollars, mabie you could find one off of a sport model but idk the number that you would need to look for on the housing

Old 02-25-2007, 02:21 AM
red9535
Professional

Alreight well so my origional questions werent really answered. Theres actually only 1 drive wheel? Which one is it?

Old 02-25-2007, 10:46 AM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you saw was the power going to the wheel with the least grip. This is what happens when you don't have limited slip diffs. Normal diffs will always feed power to the wheel with the least grip, so only one wheel on each axle will spin. In dry conditions, power is sent to both wheels but as soon as one loses grip, the diff continuues to send the power to the spinning wheel. Limited slip diffs manage to send some power to the wheel with grip. Locking diffs send power equally to both wheels, all of the time they're locked.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Old 02-25-2007, 11:56 AM
red9535
Professional

ORIGINAL: DakinUK

What you saw was the power going to the wheel with the least grip. This is what happens when you don't have limited slip diffs. Normal diffs will always feed power to the wheel with the least grip, so only one wheel on each axle will spin. In dry conditions, power is sent to both wheels but as soon as one loses grip, the diff continuues to send the power to the spinning wheel. Limited slip diffs manage to send some power to the wheel with grip. Locking diffs send power equally to both wheels, all of the time they're locked.

Hope this helps,

Paul
Why would it send the power to the wheel with no traction? Doesnt that seem a little counter productive?

Old 02-25-2007, 12:48 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

an open differential is a wonderfully simple contraption that works great when you have good traction under both wheels, but completely sucks in poor traction, wasting all power through one spinning wheel. it has no intelligence.

here's why.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_differential
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm (check out the 3d animation on pg 3 of this one !!!!!

other options are a limited slip (posi-traction) or a locker. limited slip provides better traction than an open by using clutches to sense the wheel with less traction and redirect the power to the other. a locker is a more aggressive device for more serious off roading that locks them up and turns both wheels equally, yet still releases in turns so that one wheel can go faster than the other in a turn, sometimes producing a ratcheting type clicking sound. each has pros and cons.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:35 PM
red9535
Professional

ORIGINAL: dhvaughan

an open differential is a wonderfully simple contraption that works great when you have good traction under both wheels, but completely sucks in poor traction, wasting all power through one spinning wheel. it has no intelligence.

here's why.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_differential
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm (check out the 3d animation on pg 3 of this one !!!!!

other options are a limited slip (posi-traction) or a locker. limited slip provides better traction than an open by using clutches to sense the wheel with less traction and redirect the power to the other. a locker is a more aggressive device for more serious off roading that locks them up and turns both wheels equally, yet still releases in turns so that one wheel can go faster than the other in a turn, sometimes producing a ratcheting type clicking sound. each has pros and cons.
Great articles.. thanks. So when its on dry pavement, both of the back wheels get the same amount of torque. But when one wheel loses traction, the power goes to that one, and if it has no traction at al, it will just spin there and you wont be able to move at all?

Sounds lik ei need a LSD if im going to be offroading.. lol.

Is this somethign I need to get from an aftermarket place? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Old 02-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

You can find one in a junkyard.

Quick Reply: Dumb question about 2 wheel drive