2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cold Air Intake my A**

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:02 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cold Air Intake my A**

never seen urs...but if it does then yes its a true cai...but like you said its in the wheel area...which when its raining or offroading ur gna have to either suck water, or clean the filter alot...

Old 03-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

I think you need to open your hood and look at the spot I am talking about. Look where your stock air box is located. To the left of it, there is a hole on the inside of the passenger's side fender. This is where the air is being drawn from. Don't respond to this until you have actually taken the time to look at what I am talking about. You will then realize what I am saying.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:07 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

i know how the stock box has a down tube...BUT if you see most of the aftermarket CAI kits don't have shrouding..this if you look back is what i was talking about not attacking your truck...

Old 03-08-2007, 12:41 AM
1....MAVRICK

Chris i would swear you have stock in CAI kits......keep your panties on...hehe.

I think the bottom line is, you will gain a little HP if the diameter of the CAI tube is larger
than a stock one AND only at wide open throttle....Because the air is being sucked in faster
than it can heat up in the very hot tube in the very hot engine compartment....

AGREED ???

Furthermore Chris, don't think that heat shieldis foolin anyone.....When your hood is closed
the entire engine compartment heats up...That big beautifully air filter you have is sucking air from
where ever is close....which happens to be your engine compartment...
In your favour,that gorgeous 4" stainless steeltube will help get the air in quicker...

Remember....Just my opinion

Old 03-08-2007, 01:04 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

i second that! i like them like others have said, they sound cool, gains...not really, i think its a mute point its like all mods its what the owner wants, doesn't mater what anybody else thinks as long as the owner is proud of it..[sm=nxsmile.gif]

Old 03-08-2007, 04:11 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've made all my CAI. and I'm backing virused up on this one.

his heat shield will bock the hot air the fan from the motor is spinning around. and if you look at your truck. you will see the holes in the fender. and it will suck air in from there. I'm not saying it's pulling in 100% cold air. but its pulling in a good amount.

alot of people will buy an intake with out the heatshield. and it will just pull in hot air from the engine bay. the first intake I built for the 99 did that. then later I put on a diamond plate heatshield. and now it sucks it in from the fender.

and the intake I built for the 88 is 100% cold air. I attatched a piece of pipe to the TB and the added a cone fiter on top of it so the filter sticks out of the hood. so it gets 100% true cold air. and when it's raining, I put a cover on the front ofthe scoop to stop the rain.

so lets end this stupid debate[:'(]

Old 03-08-2007, 05:45 AM
1....MAVRICK

Are you kidding me jonnymagnum.....Have u seen virused setup...I know there are holes in the
fender....But no matter how much u WILL it to pull air from there,without a sealed tube GOING there,its
not, its going to pull from around the filter....Which isstill in the hot engine bay.Sure there is outside air mixing with the hot engine air but with the hood downitsnot going to dissipate as much as running a tube right to the fenderhole.

In order for JUST air to increase HP it needs to be as cold and dense as possible, so taking it from the engine bay (whether there is a piece of metal blocking one side or not) is not going to be as efficient as taking it from OUTSIDE the engine compartment.

Love your setup on your 1988 dodge by the way....VERY COOL....lol...no pun intended.

I agree the horse is dead !!!

Old 03-08-2007, 10:08 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

snorkel anybody?[sm=massbounce.gif]

Old 03-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Alright. Sorry if earlier it seemed as if I was getting butt hurt; I wasn't. Threads like these are where the best info can be gathered, if provided. I suggest we conduct a test to see what exactly the facts are. I am going to get some battery operated thermometers, which will be mounted inside the engine bay. One will be mounted inside the area that is blocked off by the heat shield, the other temp sensor will be mounted without the protection of the heat shield. On average, it is a rule that for every 20 degrees droppedof intaketemp, itis equivelant to one HP, due to the air being denser. Hopefully this will help put this to rest. I will post up pictures to show that I am not rigging this in any way. I would like to know the truth about what the pros and cons are to a "CAI" mounted inside the engine bay.

How does this sound?

Old 03-08-2007, 02:29 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds good

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake my A**