2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cold Air Intake my A**

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 05:29 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cold Air Intake my A**

ORIGINAL: User2006

today i was doing nothing at work, so we pulled out the OBD II and hooked it up, we gatherd the pcm info and had it displayed, at idle my Intake temp was about 43C (idling in a garage) we reved it up to about 3500 and held it there the intake temp went down to 41C (still idling just reving up)

So as the air sits in the intake it gets hot once you open up the tb and get the air moving, it speeds it up and cools it down, it doesnt have time to get hot..

I predict if i was moving (going about 65-70) with my CAI and Ram air hood, i have cold air being pushed ontop og the filter coming though my hood scoops, and i have air being rushed from the stock area.. as long as you keep the hot air from standing still it is cold air.. one day ill have to take the OBD II out for a spin with my truck and see if i can get some temps will moving. That would be pretty cool.
I'm a bit lost here, a functional ram air hood seals the hood scoop to the intake tract, yet you've got a CAI not designed for the ram air? Got any pics of the setup?

Old 04-01-2007, 07:22 PM
tinyfxds
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think that you could only have one or the other. Would'nt that be a lot of plumbing under the hood?

Old 04-01-2007, 09:52 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: horatio102

ORIGINAL: User2006

today i was doing nothing at work, so we pulled out the OBD II and hooked it up, we gatherd the pcm info and had it displayed, at idle my Intake temp was about 43C (idling in a garage) we reved it up to about 3500 and held it there the intake temp went down to 41C (still idling just reving up)

So as the air sits in the intake it gets hot once you open up the tb and get the air moving, it speeds it up and cools it down, it doesnt have time to get hot..

I predict if i was moving (going about 65-70) with my CAI and Ram air hood, i have cold air being pushed ontop og the filter coming though my hood scoops, and i have air being rushed from the stock area.. as long as you keep the hot air from standing still it is cold air.. one day ill have to take the OBD II out for a spin with my truck and see if i can get some temps will moving. That would be pretty cool.
I'm a bit lost here, a functional ram air hood seals the hood scoop to the intake tract, yet you've got a CAI not designed for the ram air? Got any pics of the setup?
Before i got the CAI, i had factory tubing and air box, with an albow from the air box going to a hole in a hood (ram air). I took out the Factory air box and tubing, and added a Bruteforce AEM CAI, the filter fits perfect in the spot where my hood hole is cut, at high speeds air is rushed into the area of the CAI filter, i have a heat shield around it with weather striping for a sealed box. I have air coming from the fender by the light and from my hood.

I have pics they should be posted in my gallery. If not ill post some up.

also i say functional hood becuase my hood actually has an opening for the air to flow through. A lot of people think my hood is just for looks.. but its not it actually works.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:31 PM
jalapeenoz
Professional

OK, I know I am going to be in the minority here, but based on the various setups I have tried on my D as well as previously on my Ram I am now convinced that the stock set up (at least on the 4.7) with a good flowing filter is the best way to go. It draws air in from a cold source and flows plenty of air to feed the engine. My Fastman actually works better now with the stock intake back on rather than with an Air Raid type set up (which is similar to the True Flow intake system that so many people are buying now). The K and N type intakes and the cheapy Ebay ones draw in more warm air than the stock set up and are prone to heat soak. I know there will be plenty of you who will swear up and down that your aftermarket "CAI" made a dramatic improvement, but I am saying that based on my own experience that the stock set up works just fine for normally aspirated/mildly modified engines. I have discussed this with a couple of mechanics (with a combined 50 plus years of experience) and they have told me basically the same thing. I believe there are some tests out there showing little to no gain from aftermarket CAI's compared to the stock intake. Just my 2 cents

Old 04-02-2007, 11:16 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe one in one hundred CAI buyers actually test how well the truck accelerates before and after they have spent the several hundred $.

Only one in one thousand actually tests how well the CAI does
in an accurate way,
although the MegaSquirt guys have made it easy to test for
horsepower and torque gains out on 'real world' roads with your
vehicle at very low cost:

http://www.bgsoflex.com/dyno.html

Old 04-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Erich_121
Veteran

I dont bother with the CAI, i just throw a K@N air flilter on it and call it good. Not worth the money.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:12 PM
tinyfxds
Veteran

All I have is a K&N air filter. I think that's all I'm gonna do. I would like to get rid of the stock resonator box. That way I'd just have a tube running right into the TB.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:09 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jalapeenoz

OK, I know I am going to be in the minority here, but based on the various setups I have tried on my D as well as previously on my Ram I am now convinced that the stock set up (at least on the 4.7) with a good flowing filter is the best way to go. It draws air in from a cold source and flows plenty of air to feed the engine. My Fastman actually works better now with the stock intake back on rather than with an Air Raid type set up (which is similar to the True Flow intake system that so many people are buying now). The K and N type intakes and the cheapy Ebay ones draw in more warm air than the stock set up and are prone to heat soak. I know there will be plenty of you who will swear up and down that your aftermarket "CAI" made a dramatic improvement, but I am saying that based on my own experience that the stock set up works just fine for normally aspirated/mildly modified engines. I have discussed this with a couple of mechanics (with a combined 50 plus years of experience) and they have told me basically the same thing. I believe there are some tests out there showing little to no gain from aftermarket CAI's compared to the stock intake. Just my 2 cents
You got anything to back that up? What is a "K and N" type intake?

Old 04-03-2007, 05:51 AM
tinyfxds
Veteran

I think he means a K&N CAI

Old 04-03-2007, 08:30 AM
jalapeenoz
Professional

Yes I meant K and N CAI ( and similar intakes that have a tube and an open filter hanging over the engine compartment). As I said this is my own experience that I have had on a couple of different vehicles. Not only did I not notice an improvement with aftermarket set ups, in some cases I actually felt a decrease in performance. I believe Hank has some links to some actual dyno tests that prove the same thing. IMHO you could put the couple hundred bucks toward something else that would give you more significant gains.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake my A**