2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cold Air Intake my A**

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:18 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cold Air Intake my A**

its in ur head...

Old 04-03-2007, 10:18 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

kinda like go fast stickers and loud mufflers...its all in ur head

Old 04-03-2007, 02:27 PM
tinyfxds
Veteran

Try and put it into perspective. Let's say that a CAI gives you 3 extra HP. Is it really going to make that much of a difference on a truck that weighs 6000 lbs. If you do the math 3hp/6000lbs = .0005hp more per pound. I know that every little bit helps but to actually feel the difference?

Old 04-04-2007, 07:36 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do know that the current FIPK has the filter isolated by a barrier, right? It's not just a short ram filter. Besides, intake, headers, muffler, high flow cat, larger/better throttle body, larger injectors - none of those alone will net you a noticable gain, but they all work together as a system to build off eachother. And yeah, improper design can cause a loss of power - dumping the exhaust right at the headers would be a great example. Chuck it on the dyno and you'll see peak HP gains, but look at the curve and you'll note that it's less efficient at low RPM operation due to the decrease in exhaust gas scavenging.

So yeah, there are other things you could spend your money on that may have greater gains, such as 1.7 roller rockers, but improving any of the components is never a bad idea. Just keep in mind what the improvement is and make sure it makes sense for your application and goals.

ORIGINAL: jalapeenoz

Yes I meant K and N CAI ( and similar intakes that have a tube and an open filter hanging over the engine compartment). As I said this is my own experience that I have had on a couple of different vehicles. Not only did I not notice an improvement with aftermarket set ups, in some cases I actually felt a decrease in performance. I believe Hank has some links to some actual dyno tests that prove the same thing. IMHO you could put the couple hundred bucks toward something else that would give you more significant gains.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:22 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

so what ur saying is change ur exhaust, you cant tell me that the stock air box doesnt have good airflow...or enough...we arnt running diesels here

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake my A**