2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

WAX TIME!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 01:11 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WAX TIME!!!

what is the best wax always been told mothers or meguiers...i have swirls, not terrible but id like to get them out,...

Old 03-09-2007, 01:19 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: WAX TIME!!!

i would like to know this too as i have what look like water marks on some parts of my truck but they dont come out with washing or the wax that i have used, any suggestions on this would be helpful, i was thinking maybe a cleaner wax??

Old 03-09-2007, 01:42 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

same here under the mirrors?

Old 03-09-2007, 02:07 AM
4x4kota
Veteran

goin back about 2 years ago i did a co-op in a bodyshop and did everythin from prep work to detailing. They had some great stuff by 3M. I think it was called G3. It had more grit in it to get rid of the major marks, then use a "softer" wax for the ultimate shine. Basically you want a wax with more grit in it at first, cause the way to get rid of scratches is to put smaller, finer scratches in.

As far as mothers or Meruires.... They're both good. I think that jsut goes down to personal preference. Just beware that a good wax job will take about an afternoon and a cold case of beer.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:39 AM
DevilDog17
Professional

For waxing purposes I use Zymol. For scratches or imperfections use he Turtle Wax polishing compound. Itgets rid of imperfections really well. I had a paint strip on my old blazer and thepolishingcompound took it right off. Zymol is a little expensive for wax, but it gives a great deep shine that makes yourtruck smooth. Also, there istheOversprayClayfrom Meguiars, it removes impurities in the paint. Once you use this the white clay will turn black from everything it removes. This is just my .02 cents.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:56 AM
jk240sx
Professional

Zymol is great stuff and +1 for the clay, it makes all the difference. When I was showing my Datsuns/Nissans I used products from Griot's Garage. Great stuff. I used the Speedshine along with the clay bar for superior depth and ultra clean paint before waxing. Then waxed and used Speedshine again to detail once I got to the show.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp

Old 03-09-2007, 03:21 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Eagle one nano wax. and I love it. I usually wax my truck once a month in the summer and I give it a good coat before she goes away for winter. I've tried acouple other waxes, and this is the best one for me so far.

although I've always wanted to try that meguires ice or what ever it's called. that stuff looks good.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:23 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

just saw that today the ice stuff anybody try it yet, i like how it doesnt dry white...

Old 03-09-2007, 04:29 PM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An old trick I learned years ago is after waxing, to remove any swirls left from the process in dark paint was corn starch. Yep, corn starch. Sprinkle lightly on the horizontal surfaces and apply to a soft cloth on verticle surfaces. Rub the panel and it will remove the film of excess wax and even out the true coat you want there. Of course you will have some powdery residue at the seams and door openings but this is easily blown off with compressed air or just swishinga rag at the gaps to blow it away. I did this on my BLACK Challenger each waxing and it always looked awesome when I was done.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:35 PM
02dakotakid
Professional

also if you want to get the old built up wax off try using Dawn dish soap when you wash your truck. this removes built up wax and will help to get rid of any imperfections inbetween teh wax layers

Quick Reply: WAX TIME!!!