2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

changing my own spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Wilderness
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing my own spark plugs

2003 Dakota 4.7L 4x4 QuadCab

Is there anyone out there who can give a step-by-step instructional on how to change spark plugs for my 4.7L. I have never done it before, it costs too much, but a mess-up would cost more to have repaired.

Short of that, any links to good posts on this subject would help.

Thanks

Old 03-10-2007, 01:43 PM
craigstockman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: changing my own spark plugs

Ya know I did mine a while back its on a 2000 4.7L 4x4. They have individual coil packs so no wires to really mess with. All you really need to do is take the nut off thats holdingn the coil pack on and pull straight out. once off set the pack aside and youll need a long extension and the right size deep well soccket. (cant remember the exact size sorry) unscrew and put the new one in. Its gonna take some time and patience. The drivers side wasnt too bad but the passenger side i think i had to remove the air box to get to a couple of em. thats not too big a deal though just a bolt or two and some pulling. like i said just have some patience and you'll be fine. Also be very gentle when putting them back in so as not to cross thread em you cant get your hand down there so you need to do it with the extension. just be careful. also check out other peoples threads on sparkplugs. sounds like NGK or champion work the best. I think i might change mine today now too. Thanks. hope i could help a lil.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:46 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: changing my own spark plugs

its easy. we dont have no plug wires to get mixed up with. each plug has its own coil pack on top of it. simply impossible to mix up. remove the small bolt on top of coil pack. gently lift up on coil pack. if the coil pack comes up but cant get it over plug. then you will need to disconnect the wiring. then it comes right off. insert plug wrench into opening and remover plug. make sure you put the washer that comes with the plugs on it the correct way. gap plug to .040 and reinsert plug into opening andreattach coil pck and retaining nut. move on to the next one. some parts may be in the way to get at plugs. simply remove them

Quick Reply: changing my own spark plugs