2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

P0132, P0138 Codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 12:50 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default P0132, P0138 Codes

P0132 (M) 1/1 O2 Sensor Shorted To Voltage Oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above normal operating range.

P0138 (M) 1/2 O2 Sensor Shorted To Voltage Oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above normal operating range.

My PCM is showing these codes.

So far, i have replaced BOTH O2 sensors, reset PCM (took - off battery for 20 min, turn truck on 3 times and drove it around) its also been 300miles since ive had the code, so the computer should have reset itself.

I was installing a a/f gauge, while testing the gauges the pcm was not throwing codes, but 5 miles after i had it all installed it came on.

When i was installing the gauges, ispliced into the o2 sensor harness (not the o2 sensor itself) this was one of the requirements to get the gauge to work.

I hooked up my pcm to a OBD II Reader at my work, and it said the same thing. It gave me some reason why it was happening.

The only other thing i think it could be is i wired the gauges into my fusebox, (fuse for horn, fuse for radio, one constant and one ignition) although i dont see why that would be giving me codes since it just powering the gauges not the 02 sensor.

Im not sure what else i can do besides, replace the actuall harness from the pcm to the o2 sensor, and that brings me to my next question, is there a harness for that?

Like say you have the 02 sensor coming out of the exhuast into a harness "the o2 sensor" the harness that IT plugs into, i might need to reaplace... can i buy that or am i f-ed?

Another thing is that when i first got the codes, my truck would not idle, it would **** down and die if not kept above a certian rpm, when i replaced the o2 sensors it runs fine now, i just dont see why it still giving me codes if it fixed the problem.

Sorry for the book guys, i know most of you will look at it and say "f that im not reading all that" so thanks for reading it.

One last thing. I have a 2000 Dakota R/T with the 4 wire o2sensors (heated)

Old 03-22-2007, 01:05 AM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: P0132, P0138 Codes

sounds like there's resistance on the line, most likely from the A/F gauge, id take that out if i were you just to see if thats the problem, as i think about it, the A/F gauge is wired in paraelle * pardon my spelling* as i read wat your saying, that shouldnt throw off the o2 sensor though, because paraelle set ups take amperage draw not voltage, and series wiring takes up voltage draw, not amperage... unless the o2 sensors are to amperage sensitive?

Old 03-22-2007, 01:18 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wonder if the guage could be leaking voltage back into the 02's?

Old 03-22-2007, 01:35 AM
User
Champion

ORIGINAL: f0x672

sounds like there's resistance on the line, most likely from the A/F gauge, id take that out if i were you just to see if thats the problem, as i think about it, the A/F gauge is wired in paraelle * pardon my spelling* as i read wat your saying, that shouldnt throw off the o2 sensor though, because paraelle set ups take amperage draw not voltage, and series wiring takes up voltage draw, not amperage... unless the o2 sensors are to amperage sensitive?
I actually just noticed somthing else. it says in the codes.. 1/1 and 1/2 meaning its BOTH sensors, i have the a/f gauge hooked up to 1/2 (downstream "after cat") so why would it being thorwing codes from both sensors if 1/2 is the only one in use? I did splice 1/1 before i installed the gauges to check the wire to see if it was the correct one, only one wire was spliced into.

Maybe if i sauderd(sp) the wires back together and used heat shrink if that would give it a secure connection.

as the amp/voltage of the o2 sensors and gauge, i have no idea, im guessing its in volts since thats what the gauge uses to run off of, 12 volt.

ORIGINAL: imnothot02

wonder if the guage could be leaking voltage back into the 02's?
That would mean that i have a + or - wire touching my o2 sensor stream line.. and thats not happening. I color coded all my wires, red (12 volt ignition), Yellow (12 volt constant), Black (ground), Green(Gauge readings)... also the a/f line is just a signal of .2-1volt i think? that it send to the pcm, so if im getting 12+ volts that means my truck would be runing super rich and probably burning gallons of gas within minutes lol..

Old 03-22-2007, 01:55 AM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that would make sense with both sensors sending off bad codesi wonder if the pcm needs to be reflashed?.. before that happens, check all your ground connections, and the plug into the pcm, not tryin to make your life difficult, just throwing you some ideas

Old 03-22-2007, 02:05 AM
User
Champion

ORIGINAL: f0x672

that would make sense with both sensors sending off bad codesi wonder if the pcm needs to be reflashed?.. before that happens, check all your ground connections, and the plug into the pcm, not tryin to make your life difficult, just throwing you some ideas
my life is already difficult lol.

if i need to get a reflash, then screw that, i plan on getting a Mopar performance PCM or a B&G flash so ill wait till i do that, i made sure the o2 where plugged in all the way, its not hard to f that up, its like pluging in a nightlite, ground connections ill have to check, i did install a intake before i did this that required me to relocate my cruise control module so i mgith bave nocked somthing loose.. but i put on my gauges like a week after i did that.. so hmm..

Old 11-15-2013, 09:24 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok i have a A/F gauge as well and my code is a p0132. cleared it and hasnt been back on yet but who knows. i was told chech the ground on the back of the motor bank 2 that they brake off. very possable. i plan to checkl all my grounds. as for the gauge. you need to run it off the up stream sensor. ALL heated O2 Sensors are PRE CAT. any dealer will tell you the same. also but connecting wires is a no go. the wires have to be contacting one an other to not lose voltage. the feed back is very possable ill have to look in to that myself in the morning.
my thinking its it might be just enough signel to set off the computer.

last thing. i lifted my truck 3 inches and the light came on right after that. the gauge has been installed for years with out issues so. idk but let me know what you fine and ill let you know what i find. i hate yellow lights on my dash lol

Old 11-16-2013, 11:22 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

This thread is over 6 years old......

Quick Reply: P0132, P0138 Codes