2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

1999 dodge dakota suddenly dies

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 03:44 AM
tarrin8
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 dodge dakota suddenly dies

so i have a 1999 dodge dakota 5.2L 5spd 4x4 , and the last 2 days the truck would randomly die, but it'll start back up again in 5-10 mins mostly ( 1 time it took an hour) but there usually is no warning , 1 time it did chug a bit and i put the clutch in and the rpms went back up so i drove along and it chugs a bit more then died , it will do it when the truck is warm or cold , usually when im driving but it has died after it sat for 2 hours (it sat for 2 hours and i went to start it to go home and it started for 2 secs then died , took 15 mins to stat again) then i drove 1 or 2 km down the road and it died for about an hour.

i dont know what it could be but i have been reading other forums that lead me to thinking its the PCM,crankshaft sensor or what else??

its just wierd that it will die for 5 mins then start back up and run perfectly fine and die without warning again....

but heres the thing when i first got the truck (march 18th 2010) it died 2 times on the same day and i called the dealership the next morning and they checked it out and found nothing , and now 3 1/2 months later it does the same thing again but alot more and the 30day warranty the truck had is up! so i need to find out what this is because i need the truck for work.

also if it is the PCM does it need to be programed before i put it in or do i just order it and plug it in ?

Last edited by tarrin8; 06-28-2010 at 03:49 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:58 PM
corpusfisherman
Rookie

is it a temperature dependent intermittent problem? as in, does it run fine until it gets close to operating temperature, and then die? then start and run fine after it gets up a little warmer?

Old 06-29-2010, 02:32 AM
that_1_guy

i would guess crank shaft position sensor. i had a jeep that did the same thing and cps is what it was

Old 06-29-2010, 02:57 AM
tarrin8
Amateur

usually it died when it was warmed up but it did die cold too, when it did die cold it would die 2-10 seconds after it started, 5 mins or so later the truck would start, but mostly once warmed up the truck would die.

havent drove the truck in 2 days but have started it and let it run 5-10 mins and the truck ran good

well today im gonna have a good look at it check wires and connections, then go for a drive see what happens

Last edited by tarrin8; 06-29-2010 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply: 1999 dodge dakota suddenly dies