2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

BRAKES. Some people should NOT own tools

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 08:52 PM
KillerKilgore
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRAKES. Some people should NOT own tools

While sitting in the drive-thru with my foot on the break. My foot went to the floor. Yep brake line busted. Long story short finally got my truck home (30+ miles) to work on it. After fixin' the break line going to the front passenger side caliber (right side). I went to bleed the brakes. WTF the bleed screw is BELOW the brake hose. To make things worse the driver's side is the same way.

I don't think this had anything to do with hold my beer and watch this.
Nor do I think this is a simply get high and fix my brakes. The previous owner had to smokin' crack or just a plain dumb a$$ to do that.

How does somebody get the calibers on the wrong side? How did they not realize the mistake when they went to bleed them? Why have both off at the same time so they could get swapped anyway? Can anyone guess what I'm doing in the spring?

A good Poll question would be - Should people be required to take an IQ test before buying tools?

Follow-up poll question - What should be the lowest IQ allowed to own tools?

I guess that is the reason the fan belt packages warn to shut off engine before replacing.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:11 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't think its possible to get calipers on the wrong side its more like he connected the flex line to the caliper wrong.

I would fix that ASAP

Have any pictures?

Old 01-14-2014, 09:43 PM
KillerKilgore
Professional

Negative on the Pics but I will get some.

Negative on the hose connected wrong. The bleed screw sits in a well of sorts and the hose sits flat against the caliper. They even have different size openings. bleeder 3/8x24 pitch. hose inlet is 10x1.25m

It is just the right caliper on the left and the left caliper on the right.

I'll get pics and post them. May be a while but I'll post before and after.

I don't see how they used the correct hose if they did.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:21 PM
KillerKilgore
Professional

98DAKAZ here are the pics I took today when I changed the hub. I know this is late and I only took the pics of one side. This is the best I got but you will be glad to know that the Hub and Brakes are RIGHT now.

2014-04-01 17.01.13.jpg

2014-04-01 17.00.37.jpg

2014-04-01 17.00.51.jpg

As you can see the bleed screw is on the bottom. The brake line is on the top. All I did was take both calibers off and swapped sides (after changing hub). Don't have a pic of that but they went right back on. So the hose WAS correct. who'd 'a thunk it.

Last edited by KillerKilgore; 04-01-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:24 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Ok it looks like on a 4x4 you could do it wrong but a 2WD its almost impossible as the break line wouldn't work at all.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:23 AM
KillerKilgore
Professional

After looking at your pics and mine. Did a little research and the hose are different between 2 and 4 wheel drive. Calibers were the same. At least on the 97 model. Good info.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:37 AM
crateampsrock
Veteran

As a technician I see this all the time... Customers bring in vehicles complaining of no pedal... then we find out they tried to do calipers on their own... Im all for DIY. they will mount the calipers on the wrong side and they wont bleed with the valves on button. easy fix...

Old 04-03-2014, 05:01 PM
littlereddakota
Amateur

Originally Posted by KillerKilgore
While sitting in the drive-thru with my foot on the break. My foot went to the floor. Yep brake line busted. Long story short finally got my truck home (30+ miles) to work on it. After fixin' the break line going to the front passenger side caliber (right side). I went to bleed the brakes. WTF the bleed screw is BELOW the brake hose. To make things worse the driver's side is the same way.

I don't think this had anything to do with hold my beer and watch this.
Nor do I think this is a simply get high and fix my brakes. The previous owner had to smokin' crack or just a plain dumb a$$ to do that.

How does somebody get the calibers on the wrong side? How did they not realize the mistake when they went to bleed them? Why have both off at the same time so they could get swapped anyway? Can anyone guess what I'm doing in the spring?

A good Poll question would be - Should people be required to take an IQ test before buying tools?

Follow-up poll question - What should be the lowest IQ allowed to own tools?

I guess that is the reason the fan belt packages warn to shut off engine before replacing.

My guess is that they took both of them off to take to the parts store for the core exchange so they wouldn't have to make a second trip. But you're right...some people shouldn't be allowed to do this kind of work.

Quick Reply: BRAKES. Some people should NOT own tools