2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

V8 Throttle Body MOD

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 10:26 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I put a little blue loctite on the throttle body bolts as normal but not the other; actually when i took it off it was tight so i'm sure it will be again.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:29 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

So i took her out this morning on a run up to the store; running about 170ish or so.. not quite warmed up to 180 yet.. fan clutch not engaged; I kinda feel the low end lost that 'snap' it had but the rpm seems to wrap up through the mid range a little better.. just think the ECM needs to adjust and fine tune.. took her down a main stretch at 60Mph.. usually on that flat stretch i get about 18-19 on the real time meter.. i was getting 22/23 sometimes 24 could be difference of grades. Ill keep an eye on this and see what happens..

I'm debating on putting an open air filter on it and doing away with factory air box or putting a custom air scoop to the front grill like i had talked about before connected to the factory air box..

Leaning more towards the open air filter.. I'm wondering if that would cause it to get more boggy right off idle?

Old 06-08-2014, 09:28 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm not sure what difference it makes, but the guy I bought my bored throttle body from (he machines OEM ones) said that after you reset the computer you shouldn't got WOT on it for a while until the computer relearns everything.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:06 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
So i took her out this morning on a run up to the store; running about 170ish or so.. not quite warmed up to 180 yet.. fan clutch not engaged; I kinda feel the low end lost that 'snap' it had but the rpm seems to wrap up through the mid range a little better.. just think the ECM needs to adjust and fine tune.. took her down a main stretch at 60Mph.. usually on that flat stretch i get about 18-19 on the real time meter.. i was getting 22/23 sometimes 24 could be difference of grades. Ill keep an eye on this and see what happens..

I'm debating on putting an open air filter on it and doing away with factory air box or putting a custom air scoop to the front grill like i had talked about before connected to the factory air box..

Leaning more towards the open air filter.. I'm wondering if that would cause it to get more boggy right off idle?
My V8 TB added some gain in the middle of the power band too, made it a lot easier to get up to speed on the interstate and pass people. It did not have any detrimental effect on taking off from a stop, maybe it made it a little faster but not by very much. I have read similar comments and results from other V6 guys who added a V8 TB.

I took a Dremel tool to the front of my OEM air box, made it about 3 times its normal size. It did seem to help the V8 TB work better. It makes my engine howl though if I gun the throttle to pass or get up a hill. I would think if I added a larger exhaust it would make the added air intake a better benefit but I don't really see a need for that.

Jimmy

Old 06-09-2014, 02:20 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I could see that.. the little half snorkle looking thing looks like it would restrict air flow as it goes from big off the air box; bends and gets smaller in the throat. but yeah sounds like the same sort of results.... I'm thinking thats what people are saying in the reviews of this mod and even the actual machined version.. of increased power and torque.. most likely what they are meaning is in that mid range.. my problem was never right of the line.. was more in 2nd gear up to 3rd a little sluggish.. being this 4x4 has that hella 1st gear.. LOL

On the off idle thing if you listen carefully adn feel how the truck responds when you give it 'throttle' you can feel the IAC open or close to maintain the air/fuel ratio.. has always been a performance complaint with this design.. when i had the IAC that was not working (Stuck idle at 600) before i replaced; throttle response was amazing.. having a fixed idle instead of the emissions IAC being thats all its for is warm up and emissions.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:28 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

So after day or so the truck is running good; seems the ECM has adjusted and settled in.. nice mid-range curve.. seems to perform better and not as bogged as before.. quite smooth actually driving in the mid range..

Secondly.. The trip i took today and drove it the same way i always do.. i typically get about 12.3 MPG average on the overhead read out (not the real time but the calculated MPG average) I got 14.7 .. I call that a win. Please note that this is a backroad.. and people like to drive a touch slower around 40-45 mph.. at best.. and a few stops here and there... Not bad i think

Old 06-18-2014, 11:50 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Been driving quite a bit.. I think the ECM is settling in nicely I think..

I really wish i had rounded the ports though.. still debating on doing that rather to just take sand paper like some suggested in that other long thread or what...

Any suggestions or tips? I will take this back off this weekend and round the edges of the ports..

Old 07-28-2014, 01:49 AM
30_Ought_6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jondakotaguy -

If you haven't done your intake yet and are still kicking around ideas, here are some photos of what I had done to mine for a ram air setup behind the grill, used with a K&N stock air box filter.

As for the "snorkeling" effect, which I was concerned about as well, I took the measurements of both the stock inlet and new inlet to compare. In terms of inlet area, the new one I used was about the same, if not larger than the stock inlet. It just kind of seems to be smaller because it is taller and skinnier. If you wanted to take it a step further, you could always measure and cut the area of the air inlet into the side radiator cover and plastic weld/glue/whatever-floats-your-adhesion-boat so that more air is diverted to the inlet itself.

I understood from the start of this that the gains from these setups are fairly minimal. However..what I had gained from this was legitimately surprising. It picked up far more than I had thought it would.

As a new-guy here, I figured I'd try to share this with you all since it was basically a combination of a lot of ideas I had read about on here. If you're curious, I'll try to get a full write up for it for everyone.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
intake 1.jpg (43.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg
intake front installed.jpg (42.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-28-2014, 07:26 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Actually I've kicked that same exact idea around for a long while but I've never really done anything past kick it around.. almost though from the late 80's early 90's teh fords had a scoop right under the hood on the cross beam that drew the air direct form the hood 'crack' so to speak.. i was going to use one of those attached to air box.. but never go around to getting one.

I can say that rather or not i really gained/lost anything (kinda might feel less 'perky' at low RPM ) i can tell you WOT or getting up and going in geral with some decent throttle she responds better which is kinda what i was looking for..

I never did pull the intake back off to round the edges.. ill get to that one of these days. but overall dont expect night and day difference where it has amazing performance.. impact is very minimal.. i think you'll see very small gains but noticeable non the least.

Quick Reply: V8 Throttle Body MOD