2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Engine dying Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 09:15 PM
Hemi5273
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 dakota 5.2L engine dying/ Idling Issue

I have a 1998 dodge dakota I just picked up, and have been sorting through some issues. The truck is a 5.2L v8, and a manual 5 speed. Im noticing that when you come to a stop, and idle itll surge a bit. When you get down to about a quarter tank when I come to a stop at a light the truck dies. It will restart fine. I have no engine lights at all. Ive tried running seafoam through the truck to clean the fuel system. Ive taken the throttle body off, and cleaned it as well. The truck has a little bit of an idle issue will itll flutter when stopped, but doesnt start dying until the tank is low. This may or may not be connected. I just hate to swap out any sensors sense theirs no engine check light. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Hemi5273; 05-08-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:08 AM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi5273
I have a 1998 dodge dakota I just picked up, and have been sorting through some issues. The truck is a 5.2L v8, and a manual 5 speed. Im noticing that when you come to a stop, and idle itll surge a bit. When you get down to about a quarter tank when I come to a stop at a light the truck dies. It will restart fine. I have no engine lights at all. Ive tried running seafoam through the truck to clean the fuel system. Ive taken the throttle body off, and cleaned it as well. The truck has a little bit of an idle issue will itll flutter when stopped, but doesnt start dying until the tank is low. This may or may not be connected. I just hate to swap out any sensors sense theirs no engine check light. Any help is appreciated.
Well...I went through the sensor swap on my 98 and it was time for them to be replaced. Anyway, from past experience with my truck the CEL doesn't always come on because of a bad sensor. I had a bad crank sensor and it only showed up with a scanner running the engine and watching the timing in real time....it jumped all over the place causing the truck to stall at times and it would start right back up. I don't know how many miles on your vehicle but the sensors are inexpensive and worth replacing just because of age. Again don't depend on the PCM too much as it really leaves a lot to be desired. Okay for misfires and stuff but getting down to how fast it reacts to a problem is another story. This is my experience with it anyway and I hope it helps.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:27 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Have you checked the fuel pressure? It could be related.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:15 AM
Hemi5273

I havent checked the fuel pressure yet, but i have thought about renting the tools necessary. I just bought an idle control valve to start with. So im going to try there, and move next to the throttle posistioning sensor. Im hoping to do this tommorow. I apreciate your guys feedback. Ill keep you posted.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:39 AM
Trubowls69
Default I have a 90 Dakota w 161,ooo miles on it.

I have had a lot of problems with it. New injectors replaced nearly every sensor. Which by the way I read where "someone" claims they are inexpensive. What a crock of ham. I have put over 1500 dollars in the sob. The final fix was the fuel pressure regulator. 100 plus dollar part at any parts store I found on eBay for 30 bucks. Thing is running like a rabbit on the run. I do appreciate all of your inputs they have helped me in a sense. In another sense it helped me go out and buy a lot of crap I didn't need. Check your fuel pressure regulator before you replace your fuel pump. A coil that is old and not producing the right amount of spark can play you for an idiot as well. Thanks I hope this will help you.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:49 PM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Try replacing the map sensor w junkyard one an see if it effects it..It did mine as well as cleaning an testing the TPS and IAC too..entire throttle too.
Mine was dying at slow stop,rpm drop..not now

These sensors can malfunction an have no cod​​​​​​e.

Also look for vaccum leaks .