2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

AIrbag Light/Seat Belt Pretensioner Code

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 03:31 PM
fencermatt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIrbag Light/Seat Belt Pretensioner Code

Hi Everyone,

I'll looking into buying a 2002 Dakota quad cab that's got an issue with the seat belt. The airbag warning light is on. The seller had a mechanic check the error code, and it came back as the passenger side seat belt pretensioner wiring had high resistance. The mechanic suggested replacing the seat belt wiring harness. I'm new to Dodges, so I've got a few questions I was hoping you all could help me with.

Can the wiring harness be replaced itself (either as a whole part, or by splicing something like a new connector into it), or does the whole seat belt need to be replaced?

If I do need to replace the whole seat belt, is there an aftermarket source besides Dodge? It looks like, new, these are $300-$400.

When the airbag light is on, is the airbag deactivated?

Thanks!

Matt Pearsall

Old 06-13-2017, 09:04 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

unless instructed in a service bulletin all restraint and deployment loop wiring repairs are replace only.

the way to test it is to plug in a sir load tool into the wiring that is in question...seat belt harness connector...it the code goes stored...replace part.

my pretensioner for my pontiac was bad...it was part of the buckle so i went to pick and pull and got one for $10...plug in..golden.

some models use pretensioners on the buckle, other on the retractor...so get the right part.

for the most part, if the airbag light is on...the system is disabled...meaning it won't deploy if your in an accident...but you can deploy it if you test wrong.