2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front drive (propeller) shaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 02:13 PM
OH4DAKOTA4X
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front drive (propeller) shaft

Hi - Ok, this seems to be one of the less complicated R&R tasks we eventually must deal with. Then, why am I ready to rip someone a new one!?!
First, the cost. $135. - $550. *note, I am in so cal, and they bleed us dry here* So yea, a reman part from a local parts house is a lot more than ordering online.
However, online, some sites don't have you specify auto or manual trans. DUDE ,,, that matters, yes?
AND, My hair pulling factor is, "New Spicer end" huh? Is this for real?
Oh and one more issue.
the end that conects into transfer case, some come with housing and roughly 6" of steel shaft tube, threaded on inside.
I love my truck but, $1,021. to R&R upper & lower ball joints just 3 weeks ago. $1,500. for a couple trans sensors 3 months ago, my HVAC system has never worked right. AND pisses on passenger floor. brakes are cheap enough. No Cabi (wine) ing from me about that. The starter needs to be replaced soon, shocks too. Oh, and recently upon cold start, THERE'S A FREAKing lifter tick . . .
For now, the propeller shaft. Please advise. Are these U.S. based online parts dealers a waste of time? (80% of orders rcvd get shipped back) or the "New" part is junk? And with a drive shaft, balance is a big factor, right?
I guess I just schooled myself as to why the big cost spread.
It sure would be nice to have a wealthy mechanic boyfriend ...

​​​​​

Old 11-22-2017, 02:22 PM
OH4DAKOTA4X
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front drive (propeller) shaft

Hi - Ok, this seems to be one of the less complicated R&R tasks we eventually must deal with. Then, why am I ready to rip someone a new one!?!
First, the cost. $135. - $550. *note, I am in so cal, and they bleed us dry here* So yea, a reman part from a local parts house is a lot more than ordering online.
However, online, some sites don't have you specify auto or manual trans. DUDE ,,, that matters, yes?
AND, My hair pulling factor is, "New Spicer end" huh? Is this for real?
Oh and one more issue.
the end that conects into transfer case, some come with housing and roughly 6" of steel shaft tube, threaded on inside.
I love my truck but, $1,021. to R&R upper & lower ball joints just 3 weeks ago. $1,500. for a couple trans sensors 3 months ago, my HVAC system has never worked right. AND pisses on passenger floor. brakes are cheap enough. No Cabi (wine) ing from me about that. The starter needs to be replaced soon, shocks too. Oh, and recently upon cold start, THERE'S A FREAKing lifter tick . . .
For now, the propeller shaft. Please advise. Are these U.S. based online parts dealers a waste of time? (80% of orders rcvd get shipped back) or the "New" part is junk? And with a drive shaft, balance is a big factor, right?
I guess I just schooled myself as to why the big cost spread.
It sure would be nice to have a wealthy mechanic boyfriend ...

​​​​​

Old 11-24-2017, 11:34 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

get the correct part at rockauto.com mine was 153.00 came with everything need for install