2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front to rear brake line

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 08:31 PM
Pitman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front to rear brake line

Hello, Quick question... I have a 2001 Dak Quad cab and have to replace the front to rear brake line.. anyone know what all needs to be done? I have not got under it yet but I know it runs along the fuel tank and has to be a pain in the **** to do! Just a guess but Im thinking maybe the tank will have to come down? Gonna get started on it tomorrow and any input would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Pitman; 11-27-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,206 Likes on 2,958 Posts

Find the ends of the line, where the flare nuts screw into whatever part..... cut the line close to the nut, remove the nuts. Take 'em with ya to the parts store, and get a straight section of line in the size/length you need. Then just stick it under there, and hand bend it to fit. Tighten up the nuts, and bleed your brakes. Good time to flush the whole system. (get two quarts of fluid......)

Old 11-27-2017, 09:15 PM
Pitman

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Find the ends of the line, where the flare nuts screw into whatever part..... cut the line close to the nut, remove the nuts. Take 'em with ya to the parts store, and get a straight section of line in the size/length you need. Then just stick it under there, and hand bend it to fit. Tighten up the nuts, and bleed your brakes. Good time to flush the whole system. (get two quarts of fluid......)
I ordered a prebent line.. Just wondering how hard it is to get to? I thought it was a little tight along the frame and not sure about around the gas tank. I have ran wires along the same spot but wasnt looking how much room the brake line had and its been a bit.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,206 Likes on 2,958 Posts

The old line also probably has clips that hold it in place. Maybe I'm just cheap, but, I would rather pay less than 10 bucks for a brake line, than the prices they want for a pre-bent, plus shipping... But, I've been doin' this for a long time, and hand bending is a well-developed art form.

Hardest part is, as you guess, along the gas tank...... I don't know what the bends look like on your, but, may have to have it on a rack to be able to put it in without bending the line some.... Dropping the tank would make it easier, but, then you have to drop the tank.... which is another exercise I am just not a fan off.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:06 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

might be easier to unplug the tail lights and lift the bed off. I it's up there in miles, you might as well do the fuel pump while you are there.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:40 PM
Mikegar

8 bolts to remove a short box I think they are 10-1.5mm with 15mm hex, (1997 Dakota)
and make sure you have less than 3/4 tank of fuel, then clean and remove the 2 fuel lines to the box,
(full up one and breathe) at the tank and cover with a plastic bag and some electrical tape to keep dirt out.

or remove tork screws at box and have some one to help to guide the plastic frame out as box is lifted.
it could otherwise be broken..

The NiCopp line is the best brake line and easy to double flare (or a ISO Bubble flare)

Don't bother to try to follow the OEM route(leave the rusted old ones) just get 20 feet of shrink tube and cover the entire Nickle copper tube.
I used the steel line a few years ago from the diff left and right rear-end (regretted) . But used the much better NiCopp line
to the front to rear. The hard one on a '97 Dakota is the left side, with the box off it will be easy.
Stainless is harder to work with, but also would be good choice.