2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

2004 Durango Water Leak.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 05:27 PM
Chikn Hawk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 04 Limited and both pillars have leaks. One of the problems was the cargo rack on the roof. Remove them and see if there are any corrosion beneath as well as check the the bolt mount locations. May have a corroded seal. One thing leads to another. Unfortunately my driver's side is still leaking as I found out during a heavy rain shower. So now I gotta figure it out all over again.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:59 PM
pgtek
Professional

Hi Same problem durango 2004 water inside both rear door

Old 12-29-2014, 03:05 PM
captron1
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Found cause of roof leaks

My 04 Durango Limited was leaking at the T-posts on both sides. Soaking the front seat belts and cloth roof liner at top. Removed the roof luggage racks, requires a Tork type screw head tip. Found at the front of the rack a slot that mates up with a nylon push plug with a disk type top that slides into the rack slot for easy alignment when 're-installing the rack. The push plug has a small rubber gasket under the disk section. Problem is in the push plug not sealing tight against the hole in the roof. Popped the plug out, cleaned all parts, lightly sanded the area around the roof hole, about 1/4 inch from hole edge. Used a high quality 100% Silicon Sealant, placed a heavy bead around the hole and reseated the Nylon push plug making sure sealant squeezed out around the plug and rubber gasket. Also put a gob of sealant in the threaded wells for the 5 Torks bolts that secure the rack. Allow the sealant to set up awhile. Had a heavy rain today, no leaks at the top of the posts and no wet seat belts... Push plug a very poor choice by Dodge in the roof rack application...

The following users liked this post:
bigjailerman (12-12-2022)
Old 04-18-2015, 09:59 AM
Brent80

Originally Posted by bigo2580
Have a 2004 Durango limited. Have water leaking from front passenger pillar by the grab handle. This, eventually, after bringing it to the dealer the first time and they saying it should be OK, blew my amp out. Went back to dealer (not one I bought it from) who told me I had major water damage that probably started back when the car was new. They also told me I had to go back to where I bought it. Anyway I'm in between the 2 dealers and Chrysler corp. right now. Also my rear driver's door retains water between the door exterior and the inside panel. When I open the door after a heavy storm, its like a waterfall coming out..... Anyone else have this problem. Of course the dealer says they never heard of such a thing. B.S........Any suggestions appreciated////
yes I have the same problem both rear doors filled with water

Old 05-18-2015, 11:13 PM
mopar test of will
Default 2004 Durango water leak passenger pillar

Found the cause of the rusty water leaking from my passenger pillar from top bolt of hand hold bar plastic cover - body rotten through adjacent to top edge of front windshield seam. I wondered why the paint was bulging and starting to flake off - RUST. Dismantled the hold bar, passenger sun shade & headliner - I can see daylight when looking from inside vehicle right thru windshield top seam on passenger side. Ugh - not an easy fix while maintaining exterior appearance. May have to silicone caulk from both inside & out and then fill balance inside with some Great Stuff expandable foam (like Dodge did in the pillar, but not the roof). Give it a try. Next downpour on highway will tell the story.

Last edited by mopar test of will; 05-18-2015 at 11:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-06-2015, 09:52 AM
excobra

I have had a water issue over the years, in my case it goes to the center of the drivers side floor mat. I guess I need to start tearing things opened, I know have an intermitten sunroof. It will open then not close, eventually it will power to close. Anyone see the sunroof drain tubes affect the motor or electrical components of the moon roof? again I have an 2004 model. Still runs great, I had it since new, 135K on it. Other than Northern NY snow rusting out verious areas, she is tip top.

Old 12-11-2022, 01:26 PM
cribbj

My '04 Durango (5.7) with sunroof takes on water during a rain on both passenger & driver sides (worse on passenger) and has blown 2 amps in the last 2-3 months. Additionally, both front doors accumulate water during a heavy rain but will not drain when closed, They'll only drain when the doors are opened. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Removed & resealed roof rack with silicone
2. Added weatherstripping at TOPS of both front doors to better seal doors to body when closed
3. Checked & confirmed sunroof drains were clear & working

I'm about to start removing interior trim and then take it to a car wash, or otherwise flood the top with water & see where it's coming in. Anyone have better ideas/suggestions?

Old 12-12-2022, 11:57 AM
cribbj

Originally Posted by cribbj
My '04 Durango (5.7) with sunroof takes on water during a rain on both passenger & driver sides (worse on passenger) and has blown 2 amps in the last 2-3 months. Additionally, both front doors accumulate water during a heavy rain but will not drain when closed, They'll only drain when the doors are opened. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Removed & resealed roof rack with silicone
2. Added weatherstripping at TOPS of both front doors to better seal doors to body when closed
3. Checked & confirmed sunroof drains were clear & working

I'm about to start removing interior trim and then take it to a car wash, or otherwise flood the top with water & see where it's coming in. Anyone have better ideas/suggestions?
I know this is lame replying to my own message, but I've found the weatherstripping on the passenger side body that the door seals to is loose from the upper forward part down to, and around the floorboard. So I'm going to reseal that with 3M super adhesive & see what happens next.

Old 12-12-2022, 02:07 PM
bigjailerman

Originally Posted by captron1
My 04 Durango Limited was leaking at the T-posts on both sides. Soaking the front seat belts and cloth roof liner at top. Removed the roof luggage racks, requires a Tork type screw head tip. Found at the front of the rack a slot that mates up with a nylon push plug with a disk type top that slides into the rack slot for easy alignment when 're-installing the rack. The push plug has a small rubber gasket under the disk section. Problem is in the push plug not sealing tight against the hole in the roof. Popped the plug out, cleaned all parts, lightly sanded the area around the roof hole, about 1/4 inch from hole edge. Used a high quality 100% Silicon Sealant, placed a heavy bead around the hole and reseated the Nylon push plug making sure sealant squeezed out around the plug and rubber gasket. Also put a gob of sealant in the threaded wells for the 5 Torks bolts that secure the rack. Allow the sealant to set up awhile. Had a heavy rain today, no leaks at the top of the posts and no wet seat belts... Push plug a very poor choice by Dodge in the roof rack application...
This was my issue as well, the fix stopped all water introduction for over a year.

Old 03-12-2023, 10:11 PM
cribbj

After resealing everything (post 18 above) the situation is no better with the Durango. Both driver's & passenger sides are leaking & carpets get soaked during a downpour. I relocated the latest (#3) eBay amp to the passenger footwell, instead of the stock location so it hasn't blown after 2 torrential downpours, but the interior is definitely smelling musty and I'm at a loss where to turn next.

I can't seem to flood the Durango with enough water at a car wash or a garden hose to make it leak. Only a heavy downpour does it.

I noticed my Durango does not have the plastic wind deflectors above all the windows that some do. Were these stock from the factory, and is it possible their absence is the cause of my leaks?

Quick Reply: 2004 Durango Water Leak.