2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:05 PM
AK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: spark plugs

ORIGINAL: Wishbone

Use Copper, is what came on these trucks. The others run too hot for these engines.
But wouldn't you expect that if Bosch, NGK, Champion... list a platinum or irridium plug for the Hemi, that it would be designed to work properly?

Old 03-25-2008, 08:23 PM
wicked_5.7Hemi

i brought my durango to the dealer/service deptfor oil change & asked them about the spark plugs... my 2005 came with the copper ones but the ones that came out with platinum spark plugs will be change at the 60k maintenance service... and yes i was told that there's no problem if you install the iridium spark plugs...

Old 06-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Goose6891

I've got a crappy one for you guys about our 2004 Durango with 5.7 HEMI.....

At the 30,000 mile mark I had the dealer change the plugs. $250 later that hurt I thought BS I'll do them myself next time. "Next time" came this weekend (60,000 miles). I already had picked up the CD ROM with the entire shop manual on it, too. Things were going great, albeit the plugs coming out seemed WAY too tight. Then I get to the last one, rearmost on the driver's side.... Doesn't want to budge, and I keep at it and it finally breaks loose. Well, I get it out and out comes JUST THE PORCELAIN! THE THREADS OF THE PLUG ARE STILL IN THE CYLINDER HEAD! Also, when the dealer did it at 30,000 I wanted them to give me the old plugs and there were only 15 in the bag. Thought it was odd, maybe the tech broke one. Well, based on the condition of the 15 vs. this one that left it's threads behind I'm guessing it's the original plug! F'IN Champion garbage. So I sprayed threads down a bunch with some break-loose lubricant. We'll see what happens when I get home tonight. I figure the dealer would just F' me over turning it around on me... They'll stiull hear from me for sure, you can believe that, but it themean time I've got to get them threads out....

Old 06-23-2008, 03:23 PM
MrNobody
Rookie

Sounds like a local dealership around me. They suck. I am soo sorry about your event. I hope you can get it rectified.

MrN

Old 06-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Goose6891

Thanks MrN. Great news. I got it out last night. It took much muscle and dicipline and another 1.5 hours, but I got it out. I was a bit sore as I just did one of my workouts but it had to get done. Put the new one in and test drive went great. It really loves the new NGKs. If this ever happens to anyone else here use a #5 EZ out. The Black & Decker set I bought sure appears like great quality. Bonus that it held up. At one point I told the wife it was eaither going to break, or break it loose. 2 more pulls at it broke loose. I called a friend that works at a shop and he says everyone he checked with said the head would have to come off.... Sure glad I didn't give in and tow it to somewhere for another boinking. I figured if it the head ahd to come off it'd be for a good reason. LOL

Old 10-25-2008, 05:24 PM
rbenkemeadow

I'm getting ready myself to do this. I was pissed to find it takes 16 spark plugs. I drove up to get them then came home and took the first coil off. As I was pulling it out I noticed the 2 holes and thought wtf. O well, guess I'm going to buy 8 more. lol

Old 11-08-2008, 10:08 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The second set is just for emissions so I would install the iridium set into burning and install Reg champion in as the second.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:18 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wishbone
Use Copper, is what came on these trucks. The others run too hot for these engines.
I always agree on OEM period. I don't agree on the heat range you are talking about. The iridium plugs burn differently but not hotter.

I would not agree with platinum and defiantly hate them in Dodge period!

Old 11-09-2008, 09:05 AM
rbenkemeadow

I did this and it took no time at all. I used platinums and seems to be doing well with my hydrogen kit.

Quick Reply: spark plugs