2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

2004 Durango Stalled!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 01:08 PM
dodgesofaking
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem with my 2005 4.7l durango it just shuts off like someone turned the key to off. any ideas, dealer said the egr valve needs to be repalced?

Old 09-07-2009, 06:07 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The EGR valve is a cheap fix and can be done without the dealer,
FF

Old 05-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Breanskis
Default 04 Stalling Problems

I found this on another site but it sounds like my problem to a tee. I have had my trany serviced twice in the 9 years I have owned this car. It had all these symptoms only once in a while and just a little bit after my first trany service, but I just took it to Aamco for the lastest one and it has been stalling once out of every 5 stops. I'm taking it back to Aamco in the morning.

38000mi 2005 Dodge Durango Limited w/ Hemi, many mods - exhaust, intake, shift kit, rims, you name it. Love it. Sounds mean as hell. But the STALLING! ugh - read on...

RPM's would consistently fade below 500 upon deceleration (i.e. slowing for turns, traffic lights, etc.), shudder and then stall. No check engine light - ever. Stall would only happen while car was in Drive (not on startup), and was always immediately re-startable, albeit in the middle of a f***ing intersection. Mileage crept down from 14 to 10.5mpg. Began to fear stopping/stalling and thus performed rolling stops for the past few months. Brought to the dealer 4 times to no avail - they re-flashed PCM, applied TSB 18-013-05 Rev A=>nothing. They recommended throttle body service, which I did myself. Decent amount of coking but nothing too bad. My air intake filter was filthy, thought that might be it, cleaned that up=>nope. Bought myself a new EGR valve from Parts dept and installed it (what a bitch, not very conveniently located)=>no dice. Was at wits end, finally brought it back to dealer and told them that I love the truck but if they cant fix the stalling I'm trading it in and never buying Dodge again. They kept it for six days, kept test driving it, hooked up a computer and recorded the parameters when the car stalled, uploaded data to STARScan, even the chrysler techs said everything looked perfect from a computer/sensor standpoint. Then, they called me and asked if I had recently CHANGED MY TRANSMISSION FLUID OR HAD IT SERVICED. I certainly did, did it myself at 30000 miles following their own service manual's instructions. Hmm...come to think of it, stalling problem started right around that time...hmmm...Apparently, there is a little-known issue with the filter gasket that if you don't tap it in ABSOLUTELY F***ING PERFECT, it will suck air into the system, froth up the fluid, and mess up the sensors, causing a stall upon decelerating. I was skeptical, but when they checked my tranny fluid there were air bubbles on the end f the dipstick! So I said go ahead, do (another) tranny service, make sure the filter gasket has good seal. They also replaced a Mass Air? Sensor part# 5033110-AC or 8037155.

To make a short story long...MY CAR IS NOW FIXED, RUNS LIKE A DREAM, NO MORE IDLE FLUCTUATIONS AND NO MORE STALLING!!!!!!

Hope this helps at least ONE other person out there, to save the diagnostic headaches I went thru...just have them service the tranny!

Old 07-22-2013, 11:42 AM
jbird68

I had my 2006 4.7L Durango in at the dealers a month ago to fix broken Exhaust Manifold Bolts for ticking noise and it revs from 500 to 1,000 RPM at idle. But the original reason to take it in was the check engine light came on. Dealer said it was a small leak in the EVAP system. I thought they fixed the EVAP leak along with the broken bolts but found out later that they did not. So, we went on vacation. 15 miles from home and the check engine light comes on (I figured then that they didn't fix the leak). Oh, and now the Cruise Control is now disabled. Light stays on until we get to our destination (7 hour drive). Then the light goes off for the rest of our week long stay. As we leave to come home, the light comes back on and stays on all the way home. Then the real issue started. As we were towing our small boat up an incline the engine just shuts off. At first I thought the tranny went on me. It's been shifting sort of hard, no clunk, but it will throw you in your seat a little. I was able to pull over and restart with no problem. Drive for a little while and BAM, it happens again. Three times this happened. Got home and the check engine light went off. Wife drove it and said she heard a POP noise like when you run over a stick. I get in and start it and it just click, click, clicks a few times and then it starts. So I get the battery checked out and replaced under warranty. It has enough cranking amps to turn over but not at MAX. Now the Cruise Control is working. Then I take back to dealer and there are no codes showing up. They said changing the battery erased any codes. They flashed the computer for upgrade, charging me $63 and say everything is fine now. I think not!!!! It still revs from 500 to 1,000 RPM while at idle and they don't know why it would just stop while driving up an incline. Check engine light is still off and it still shifts oddly. I thought the Dealers were supposed to know how to fix stuff when it is not running right. Tech even came out while to listen to it rev and had no idea what it could be. I am ready to give up on the dealer and go somewhere else.

Last edited by jbird68; 07-22-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Breanskis

Sorry to hear about your car trouble I know how frustrating that can be. My car did some of the same things that your car is doing but not all of them. My car is running great now and it turned out to be low tranny fluid. It all started happening after I had the transmission serviced years ago. The problems were different and intermittent, many the same as your having. We chased electrical, egr valve, oxygen sensors, plugs, wires, air filter, on and on and on! I was really starting to worry because it felt like the tranny was slipping, so I took it to Aamco and it was great for a few weeks then it started again, I took it back to Aamco replace the throttle body, didn't work. Took it back to Aamco they re-did the tranny service still not fixed. Took it to the dealer at my wits end and they checked the tranny said it was low on fluid. Said Aamco doesn't know how to measure tranny fluid properly! Car is great now all the problems I had over the years have stopped. I'm not saying this will fix yours but it might be an inexpensive place to start by having the dealer service the tranny. Best of luck and keep me posted if you don't mind.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:18 PM
jbird68

Breanskis,
Right before our vacation I checked the tranny fluid and it was a little low, just below the low hole on the dip stick. I put about 1/2 quart in and I think I over filled it just a bit. It didn't fix my jerky motion. I thought about the fluid level, too. I was hoping that would have fixed the shifting issue. I won't take it back to the dealer unless it is for recall work that is covered at their expense.

Quick Reply: 2004 Durango Stalled!