2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

2004 Durango Stalled!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:01 PM
bigjames
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Durango Stalled!

My Durango stalled after I stopped on a mild incline. It would not restart for about 15 minutes. Took it to Dodge after it restarted and they scanned it. No issues. Anyone experience anything like this?

Also, someone suggested the problem was fuel. I have been using SHELL "bronze" gas. Has anyone heard any legit issues with SHELL fuel? The person who suggested it told me their FORD had a similar stall issue and somehow it was attributed to the fuel they were using.

Shop also said that the plugs are due for changing and the throttle body needs cleaning.

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2009, 01:44 PM
themidnightwill

By any chance did the oil light come on when it stalled? This is similar to issue I am having now. My 2004 w/hemi stalled twice now coming to a stop on a hill.

Will

Old 05-22-2009, 02:15 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Does your truck feel likes it is stalling every time you come to a stop? It may be idling too low which can be altered by the dealer or a tuner if available,
FF

Old 05-22-2009, 03:44 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Could be the engine kill relay turning off the fuel pump thinking the truck is rolling.

Replace the relay with a different one.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:38 PM
bigjames

My wife was driving when this happened and she was panicking as she was stopped on a hill in the middle of the road outside my kid's elementary school. There was tons of traffic and they were honking and whatnot so she was not really looking at lights.

Originally Posted by themidnightwill
By any chance did the oil light come on when it stalled? This is similar to issue I am having now. My 2004 w/hemi stalled twice now coming to a stop on a hill.

Will

Old 06-04-2009, 01:40 PM
bigjames

This has me thinking. I suspected fuel pump when my wife described what happened, but I could not figure out why it would happen. Why would the relay kill the pump if it thought the truck was rolling? A different one? You mean a new relay? Or an after market relay?

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Could be the engine kill relay turning off the fuel pump thinking the truck is rolling.

Replace the relay with a different one.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:52 PM
bigjames

Any other suggestions on this? I have had no issues since the first stall back in May. I had the oil changed yesterday and this morning, my wife was driving and it stalled again. Initially I thought it was something to do with the truck being on an incline, but today's still was on flat ground. The similarity between today and back in May is that it stalled after being running for about 5 minutes (not warmed up?).

When I got the oil changed yesterday the shop checked the fluids and said that the tranny fluid could be changed...could this cause stalling issues?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2009, 08:20 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine stalled twice in consecutive days in almost exactly the same place. I was going towards a stop sign outside of my neighborhood and on a slight downhill grade. Stalled and I cruised to the stop and restarted it. Has not happened since these two times in the spring. Dealer told me it could be the change in the fuel (additives and cleaners) which is done by the refineries before summer....,
FF

Old 07-24-2009, 12:36 PM
bigjames

One other consideration...my wife is telling me that before this most recent stall, she was sitting in the driveway with the truck idling and was adjusting the power seats alot to get them comfortable. Could these stalls be from a dying battery? I had it checked when the oil was changed and they said it was still strong, but I am just trying to put this together so I can not worry about them betting stranded when my wife it driving the kids around in the truck.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Schantry

My 04 Durango (60,000 miles) developed a habit of stalling when coming to a stop. I took it to the dealer who called their tech line. It was determined to be the valve body in the transmission. Luckily it was still under warranty. After the install of the valve body, the durango did not stall any more. Now (75000 miles) I have an issue with the trans shifting hard between 2nd & 3rd. I've read some articles and found that it may be the coolant return filter in the transmission that is getting clogged. Hopefully that will solve that. Any ideas out there?

Quick Reply: 2004 Durango Stalled!