2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Trailer Sway Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 11:55 AM
kneeprints
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '06 5.7 Hemi towing a 24 ft Terry. I use dual cam sway bars. Have no sway problems. I originally had a lot of poirposing and eliminated that by replacing factory shocks with something a little stiffer.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:56 PM
campdaddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tow a Cirrus 190CE and with an 05 5.7 Durango and never had a problem with sway. I have an Equal-i-zer hitch though that has the anti-sway as an inherent function of the hitch. If you have ruled out the most common cause of sway problems -too little weight on the tongue-it should have 10%-15% of the total trailer weight on the tongue as verified on scale. Now, have you ever towed this particular trailer with another vehicle and not have the sway problems? I'm thinking it might not be your TV but perhaps something to do with the trailer. It could be an alignment problem or even a bent axle causing the sway. But if you've towed with some other TV and not had swat problems then that would leave me to think it in the setup. Either way you'll need your RV dealer to take a look at it. Also post your problem over here on the RV forum http://www.rv.net/forum/ and do a search in the technical section. I'll bet there's a lot of information on sway problems.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:21 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

1. Check the tire pressure on the trailer.
2. Up the pressure on the truck to 45psi on 50psi max tires (check the tire for sure pressure rating).
3. To install my EQ hitch I have to use a bar because of the spring load on them because it's set up right. If you don't do this it's not right!
4. To much weight front or rear loaded on the trailer can do this. Try moving some weight.
5. I really hate those hitches. Let me recommend these. I think they are the BEST: http://www.equalizerhitch.com/productinfo/

Here are some installation guides for EQ but the same laws apply. I finished with 1/2" over the height of the inside measurement of the trailer tounge:
http://www.equalizerhitch.com/support/instructions.php

I ride fully perfect with both the front and rear lowered the exact same minus 1/2 inch on the rear axel measured by ruler on the ground to fender measurement. Also the trailer rides pefectly level. If you are set up this way it sould feel like you are one driving down the road almost like the rear is floating over bumps like pulling into a gas station. Make sure your tires are up to pressure before configuring.

Quick Reply: Trailer Sway Problems