2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Mirrors, door handles and door panel removal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:18 PM
rbenkemeadow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good comebacks. Another DUMB F'N COMMENT

Pics posted and tomorrow I will post the finished picture.

Last edited by jasonw; 08-21-2011 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Merging double posts.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:13 PM
abldo96

Great write up and pics, looking to do mine this week. Thanks for the tips!

Just read your write up on painting the mirrors and handles, great stuff! Exactly what I have been wanting to do.

Did you do anything special to the rough black plastic besides using bulldog adhesive to make the paint stay? Also did it come out smooth or is it still a little rough after painting?

Wondering about sanding etc, if you can fill in the blanks I would appreciate it!

Last edited by jasonw; 08-21-2011 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Merging double posts.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:50 PM
rbenkemeadow

Originally Posted by abldo96
Great write up and pics, looking to do mine this week. Thanks for the tips!
To answer your pm, you scrub the black plastic with a green scratch pad and clean well. It's been a year now since I parted with the durango for the srt8. I did just paint the wife's mirrors and door trim on the traverse.

Picture of the door trim

Name:  IMAG0406.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  36.9 KB

Mirrors and door trim

Name:  IMAG0407.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  59.8 KB

Added different bulbs also

Name:  IMAG0404.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  31.0 KB

Originally Posted by abldo96
Just read your write up on painting the mirrors and handles, great stuff! Exactly what I have been wanting to do.

Did you do anything special to the rough black plastic besides using bulldog adhesive to make the paint stay? Also did it come out smooth or is it still a little rough after painting?

Wondering about sanding etc, if you can fill in the blanks I would appreciate it!
Also I left the bully dog kind of tacky then sprayed the first coat. Be careful of the humidity and outside temps because that can change drying time etc. If its warm out when you spray do not take item into air conditioning when finished because it will start show whit spots from the clear. Yes its smooth as can be but the roughness of the plastic will still be there up close.

Last edited by jasonw; 08-21-2011 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Merging double posts.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:41 PM
abldo96

Thanks, how about the small plastic piece forward of the mirror on the Durango, how does that pop off?

Thanks again

[qurote=rbenkemeadow;2577141]To answer your pm, you scrub the black plastic with a green scratch pad and clean well. It's been a year now since I parted with the durango for the srt8. I did just paint the wife's mirrors and door trim on the traverse.

Picture of the door trim

Name:  IMAG0406.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  36.9 KB

Mirrors and door trim

Name:  IMAG0407.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  59.8 KB

Added different bulbs also

Name:  IMAG0404.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  31.0 KB

Also I left the bully dog kind of tacky then sprayed the first coat. Be careful of the humidity and outside temps because that can change drying time etc. If its warm out when you spray do not take item into air conditioning when finished because it will start show whit spots from the clear. Yes its smooth as can be but the roughness of the plastic will still be there up close.[/quote]

Old 08-22-2011, 09:21 AM
rbenkemeadow

Not sure which piece that is. If you can take a pic and post up here. Also you don't have to remove the actual mirror out of the housing to paint the mirrors. It was a pain and very difficult to not snap the little black plastic tabs.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:21 PM
abldo96

Yes, I will leave the mirrors in place, it looked a little too tricky to pull out anyway.

Talking about the piece of plastic in this photo just forward of the miorror.

Attached Thumbnails Mirrors, door handles and door panel removal?-100_2701.jpg  
Old 08-22-2011, 03:19 PM
rbenkemeadow

I can't remember how it came off but I bet it's just clipped on. Looking at the pics, it's after the door opening so I bet it just pops off.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:42 AM
alt-fuel
Amateur

I do like the paint job on handles and mirrors. One question bully dog adhesive is that a brand name? Can it be purchased at autopart store? What could be used instead?

Old 01-12-2012, 01:13 PM
abldo96

It's a brand name, Autozone and the others have a Krylon one just as good I have been using, it goes on light gray/white, real nice if you are lightening up your color. I have tried another brand as well, cannot remember the name but it goes on clear and doesn't work worth a darn.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:53 PM
rbenkemeadow

Bullydog is the name of the product and its an adhesion promoter. It's the best stuff you can buy in a can unles you want to spray it out of paint gun. The biggest reason I used this, is any time you paint plastic it flexes. This helps the paint flex too. I never had any cracks on the peice under the bumper at all. The other brand I would use if I had to would be duplicolor.

Quick Reply: Mirrors, door handles and door panel removal?