2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

06 Durango..fuel overspill

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 01:44 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealer is replacing my gas tank and inlet tube at $950.00, but since I have a case against the problem Chrysler agreed to pay for the repairs less $200.00. I would sugggest anyone with this problem call Chrysler's complaint line at 800-423-6343 and you may have to pay between 50% of the repair to nothing at all per the dealership,
FF

Old 01-24-2011, 05:20 PM
TJDurango2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer is also replacing my fuel tank. It's covered under the extended warranty I purchased, so all I have to pay is $100.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:22 AM
TDZ

On my 2006 D Limited, Dodge did an inspection and determined that it has the identical characteristics of the 2005 Dodge Durango's under recall (those are only the one manufactured up until November 30, 2004) and further they proved it is the vent (ballast) at the bottom of the filler tube inside the tank that is not closing, this causes the gas to shoot out of the fill tube.

Dodge Corporate refuses to assist with this problem, the dealership offered half. Since then I've contacted the EPA in regards to this problem (fuel spillage of 1 gallon per week per vehicle is a lot of fuel spilled on the ground a year) and have filed a complaint with the NHTSA.

In addition, I did one more thing to help us out with this, I contacted Sean Kane at safetyresearch.net. You may not recognize this individual, however he was one of the individuals who's organization worked towards getting the firestone/explorer recall and the Toyota gas pedal recall. He has taken a look at the Dodge Durango/Dakota/Aspen issue and the information being found is startling.

Dodge anticipated less than 20% of the vehicles in the recall would have the problem. As of September 30th, 2010 the vehicles inspected had an approximate failure rate of 52%. In September 2006 the failure rate was approximately 22%. That's a 30% increase roughly over 4 years as the vehicles are tested.

Dodge has made it clear that they will not do anything on this issue until forced to do so by the NHTSA. So, I think it's time that we ban together. Mr. Kane can use contact from all of the Durango/Dakota/Aspen owners on this issue and if you have a video of your vehicle spewing gas out it's tank then it would be great. (Do NOT go out and attempt to replicate the problem just to get a video, it's dangerous to have these trucks do this.)

Note guys, this can be as many as 740,000 vehicles affected with this issue and it is appearing by data as these vehicles age more and more of them are failing. The cost to Dodge to fix this problem once and for all at the current failure rate of 52%(approx) is roughly 1/2 a billion dollars for vehicles in the United States alone.

And if you think this isn't worth getting involved in, just remember this:

Everytime you fill up or you see a Durango/Dakota/Aspen pull into a gas station to refuel you carry a risk of 52% of that vehicle spewing fuel out and a potential explosion happening.

It's time we work together to force a true resolution of this problem. It appears to affect all vehicles from 2004 to 2007 currently. You can contact Mr. Kane at:

http://www.safetyresearch.net/contact-us/

I'm sure he will be thrilled to hear from each and every one of us. I've already sent him the video of mine spewing.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:48 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Vapors ignite, not fuel, so an 'explosion' in open air would be very unlikely. I will admit I used that line with Chrysler and it did seem to work,
FF

Old 01-28-2011, 06:00 PM
TDZ

Your right, liquid gas does not ignite, however gas moving through the air emits vapors that do. Also, have you ever smelled your interior after the fuel ejection? Mine reeks of gasoline.

Keep tuned guys, there may be some very big things happening on this topic in the next few weeks. I'll keep you updated on them as they do if I can.

In the meantime, videos/videos/videos/videos of your vehicle shotting, spilling, spewing or whatever you want to call it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:28 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

It happens to 2008 models as well. Mine is sitting at a dealer as we speak, they couldnt get it finsihed today and the tech who started it doesnt work Saturdays. The rental will get some miles this weekend........

Old 01-29-2011, 04:17 AM
limitedhemi

Originally Posted by TDZ
On my 2006 D Limited, Dodge did an inspection and determined that it has the identical characteristics of the 2005 Dodge Durango's under recall (those are only the one manufactured up until November 30, 2004) and further they proved it is the vent (ballast) at the bottom of the filler tube inside the tank that is not closing, this causes the gas to shoot out of the fill tube.

Dodge Corporate refuses to assist with this problem, the dealership offered half. Since then I've contacted the EPA in regards to this problem (fuel spillage of 1 gallon per week per vehicle is a lot of fuel spilled on the ground a year) and have filed a complaint with the NHTSA.

In addition, I did one more thing to help us out with this, I contacted Sean Kane at safetyresearch.net. You may not recognize this individual, however he was one of the individuals who's organization worked towards getting the firestone/explorer recall and the Toyota gas pedal recall. He has taken a look at the Dodge Durango/Dakota/Aspen issue and the information being found is startling.

Dodge anticipated less than 20% of the vehicles in the recall would have the problem. As of September 30th, 2010 the vehicles inspected had an approximate failure rate of 52%. In September 2006 the failure rate was approximately 22%. That's a 30% increase roughly over 4 years as the vehicles are tested.

Dodge has made it clear that they will not do anything on this issue until forced to do so by the NHTSA. So, I think it's time that we ban together. Mr. Kane can use contact from all of the Durango/Dakota/Aspen owners on this issue and if you have a video of your vehicle spewing gas out it's tank then it would be great. (Do NOT go out and attempt to replicate the problem just to get a video, it's dangerous to have these trucks do this.)

Note guys, this can be as many as 740,000 vehicles affected with this issue and it is appearing by data as these vehicles age more and more of them are failing. The cost to Dodge to fix this problem once and for all at the current failure rate of 52%(approx) is roughly 1/2 a billion dollars for vehicles in the United States alone.

And if you think this isn't worth getting involved in, just remember this:

Everytime you fill up or you see a Durango/Dakota/Aspen pull into a gas station to refuel you carry a risk of 52% of that vehicle spewing fuel out and a potential explosion happening.

It's time we work together to force a true resolution of this problem. It appears to affect all vehicles from 2004 to 2007 currently. You can contact Mr. Kane at:

http://www.safetyresearch.net/contact-us/

I'm sure he will be thrilled to hear from each and every one of us. I've already sent him the video of mine spewing.

Message sent

Old 01-31-2011, 04:17 PM
TDZ

Originally Posted by mbroggi1
It happens to 2008 models as well. Mine is sitting at a dealer as we speak, they couldnt get it finsihed today and the tech who started it doesnt work Saturdays. The rental will get some miles this weekend........
If you can contact Sean at http://www.safetyresearch.net/contact-us/ with the info on your's (even though it's being fixed) it would be helpful. There are numerous 2008 models out there that may be affected also, I came across my first 2008 Aspen shooting gas over the weekend.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:25 PM
rcatty
Amateur
Default Update to my 06 Durango gas tank overfill/reject gas issue

Originally, the tank overfilled. The dealer replaced the gas tank (extended warranty). Then the tank refused to smoothly accept gas; i.e. kept shutting the nozzle off. The dealer replaced the fill tube. Same problem. Replaced next was the evaporation canister and some related tubes. That did not help. Finally, they installed a second fuel tank. Bingo. Problem solved( at least for now). Note that the second fuel tank (like the first, I believe) was under the "old" part number. Apparently, the tanks have new numbers, and they are on back order. My dealer followed the Chrysler TSB protocol on the fuel tank shut off issue(s). In conclusion, they are having major design problems with these tanks/fuel systems, that runs across all Chrysler products. You have to have a dealer willing to work with you, who is not in "denial", and be persistent. Note that Jeeps are now in recall for these issues.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Bzilla

I have an '05 Limited, and it's on it's third gas tank due to the poor flap design/build quality. Dodge took care of it both times at no cost to me. Second one I had no warranty left and they still fixed it. It's a safety issue! Raise hell if you need to!

Quick Reply: 06 Durango..fuel overspill