2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

2008 Durango alignment/vibration issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011 | 10:20 AM
Munsonfan
|
Default 2008 Durango alignment/vibration issues

Anyone out there ever have a problem with their 2008 Durango's alignment?

47,000 miles on mine and just had it in for an alignment. Still pulls slightly to the right and i was told that it was aligned back to factory specs. Looking for any help with this. FYI- Mine has never been in an accident and is mostly highway driven.

Also, it has developed a slight vibration at highway speed. After new tires installed (they were due) I still have the issue. Service Dept explained that they have seen this come up on other Durangos.

Looking for a direction to go in.

Old 01-26-2011 | 12:50 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo

Maybe the wheel weights are out of balance,
FF

Old 01-26-2011 | 11:41 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

If it is still pulling, it isn't right.

Make them fix/realign it or find another shop. If they can't fix the pull, or tell you why... since that is what the supposedly do everyday as an alignment shop... find someone else.

It is not rocket science. Nor something a professional shop should have an ounce of issue trying to provide a diagnosis.

IndyDurango

Old 01-27-2011 | 07:54 AM
kfcandtanq

What size wheels?

I've got an 07 Ltd. with 20" rims. Lots of tire shops here say that those rims are difficult to keep balanced.
Our's was terrible, but i had a 4 wheel alignment and all 4 wheels rebalanced.
The front wheels were starting to "cup", so we put those to the back, and it's not too bad now. Still a little vibe around 90k (aka 50 mph).

Also, one of the wheels cracked on the inside of the rim, and we had to get it welded/balanced at a custom wheel shop. No visible damage to the rim or tire from hitting anything.. so maybe those 20" rims are a little thin?

Old 01-28-2011 | 03:37 PM
Munsonfan
|

Thanks for the reply's folks,

Yes, it is going back to the shop to get the alingment done correctly.

I had not heard about the wheel issue.

I will post back when and if the shop figures it out.

Old 02-12-2011 | 08:43 PM
brownsanta

i am having the same issue on my 2007 D limited.

mine pulls to the left and when i hit 65mph+ there is a vibration that you can feel in the floor boards. i have been to the dealer twice and both time they aligned and balanced the tires with no luck. the second time i personally watched the tech do the alignment on the machine. And it's still there.

rennie

Old 02-12-2011 | 09:47 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

Are you all running the OEM Goodyears? You could have a tire problem. The best thing to try is to rotate 2 front to rear and see if it helps. You could have a tie rod, steering rack or ball joint going bad. Is tire pressure even? Shocks? I had a dead one at 50k.
Do a measurement of the wheel well height to determine if the front is sitting level. I just bought a set of the limited 20" and put Yokahama Parada Spex-x on them and cant believe the difference in ride over the goodyears. 3 tires took 1.5 -1.75 oz and one took 2. I had mine RoadForce balanced and they uses the stick on weight all on the inside. I have none of the traditional ones mounted to the inner and outer wheel lip. When I was cleaning the wheels I did notice the gap between the plastic chrome clad and the wheel. I could see mud/dirt getting in there and settleing. I almost wanted to lay down a bead of silicone so the brake brake dust residue didn't seepe out when they get wet.

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/images/demo.cfm

Last edited by 1969CoronetR/T; 02-12-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2011 | 05:44 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by brownsanta
i am having the same issue on my 2007 D limited.

mine pulls to the left and when i hit 65mph+ there is a vibration that you can feel in the floor boards. i have been to the dealer twice and both time they aligned and balanced the tires with no luck. the second time i personally watched the tech do the alignment on the machine. And it's still there.

rennie
Same as others posted before, they should be able to tell you why its not aligning properly or whats causing the issue. If they can't, take it to another shop. Obviously the alignment isn't the issue, so they need to troubleshoot.

Old 02-16-2011 | 09:05 PM
brownsanta

i just took the truck to sts auto and they had to balance the 4 tires twice before the truck felt better but they also told me there was play in the right front wheel and that it may be the hub & bearing going bad. so its back to the dealer tomorrow morning.

Quick Reply: 2008 Durango alignment/vibration issues