2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

towing with a 2005 Durango

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011 | 06:58 PM
petranoff
|
Question towing with a 2005 Durango

Hi all-
We purchased a 2005 Dodge durango ST with the 4.7L engine last year so that we could pull a bigger camper. As it turns out, we have the 3:55 axle ratio as opposed to the 3:92 ratio, which we were thinking it was. The dry weight of the camper is 5300 pounds, which is only about 500 or so pounds below the max towing weight (I say only because it is not much when you consider two kids, two dogs, and misc camping supplies). In other words, unless we plan on taking two cars every time we camp, we have a towing issue. As far as I can tell, besides taking multiple cars, I have 3 options - sell the car (which will be difficult since I was upside down when I bought it AND the fuel prices are high), sell the camper (easier, but of course not ideal), or re-gear the axle to the 3:92 ratio (a bit expensive, but more concerning to me is the potential risk). THoughts?

Old 05-01-2011 | 09:37 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator

Sounds like you already know this, but just to make sure... if its a AWD/4x4, you'll need to regear both axles, not just one.

Keep in mind, regardless of whether you change the gears, the 4.7L V8 won't tow that well, especially something that heavy. Not saying it won't do it, just not well. Also, I'd suggest getting some helper springs, load limiting shocks, and/or other assistance for the rear suspension if you plan to tow that much regularly.

Old 05-01-2011 | 09:44 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker

Petra:

How many miles on your Durango? You don't mention having 4wd, so if thats the case you gain a few hundred pound of capacity there also.

Sounds like a pretty heavy camper. Are you thinking of taking it on long trips through lots of mountains, or just short jaunts of maybe 100 miles or less through relatively flat areas?

Depending on your needs, you might be able to get by with it as is.

If not, regearing may be your answer especially if yours is a RWD model since you are only doing 1 axle. 4x4 requires parts and labor X2 which will run you $1800-$2200 for a 4x4 model.

I would also strongly consider going with a 4.10 gear since the price is the same, and the extra bit of gear won't hurt you since you will need all you can muster with the 4.7.

Don

Old 05-02-2011 | 07:36 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo

You may need a heavy duty transmission cooler, too,
FF

Quick Reply: towing with a 2005 Durango