2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Antifreeze smell help. Lot's of new parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 12:48 AM
mikehenya
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Antifreeze smell help. Lot's of new parts

Well, I drive a ton, never overheats, temp runs good, just below 1/2 actually. I keep smelling it so I replaced: new radiator, both main hoses, and the auxiliary water pump and I still smell antifreeze. I don't see any leaks on short or long drives. Nothing in the oil that I can see, I just changed it yesterday and it doesn't seem to be losing any water. Bottle is still full, when you take the cap off rad is down to the top of the fins, but I know the bottle fills it back up when it circulates, right? I don't see any on the ground or in the oil, any other thoughts?? I smell it pretty strong every time I stop.
It's a 5.7 that just hit 101k.

Last edited by mikehenya; 11-11-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:43 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker

Mike:
Sounds like you have done a pretty in depth parts replacement to try to cure this issue. Having gone that far, I would have also done the thermostat since the system was drained.

You may have a loose bolt on the snout that hold it to the side of the water pump. Could also be a seeping/weeping heater hose or seal on the water pump. Coolant leaks have a habit of dripping onto the hot engine evaporating so we don't see them, and just smell them.

Might be productive to pressurize the system with a coolant pressure tester and look for leaks with a cool engine.
You might be able to see the drips then.

Don

Old 11-21-2011, 09:53 AM
patrickjudkins
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id check under your carpet, or turn your ac on full blast and let the car get to operating temp and smell the air coming out of the vents if it smells like coolant more than likely you have a pinhole leak in your heater core, if not check your main water pump weap hole.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:31 PM
2timeram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze Smell

I also had a smell and a year later had a nasty squeel. I just(11-18-11) changed the water pump,could not remove the fan from the old pump, so I will put a electric fan on.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:23 PM
mikehenya

I suppose the water pump is next, I hate to do it. I should have done it when I had everything else out, I just didn't think. Sigh...

Old 11-25-2011, 10:17 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker

2TR:

You can get the fan off the pump by using a 10 inch crescent wrench opened to the max.

I was able to fashion a tool to hold the pump pulley in place, or you could use one of those belt type wrenches to hold it stationary.

It it on there kind of tight, but a good twist will break it free.

Mike:

If you are doing the pump, do the T stat also.

Don

Old 11-25-2011, 11:42 PM
mikehenya

Will definitely do T-Stat also. There goes the holiday time off..ughh. It's always something. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: Antifreeze smell help. Lot's of new parts