2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

08' 5.7 Hemi and Magnaflow Catback #16779

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:02 PM
Electronut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08' 5.7 Hemi and Magnaflow Catback #16779

Hi guys,

Brand new here but really needed some sound advise ( no pun intended ha!) on an exhaust and what I was considering. i searched here but didnt find anything specific to this exhaust.

I could find very little on this. Few posts on Youtube but not enough to take the full plunge on the decision for the purchase.

I want to upgrade the wifes Durango with the Magnaflow exhaust listed in my title.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/d...rtnumber=16779

It's Magnaflows largest muffler with the resonator. I don't want the interior cabin to have additional decibal noise (or nominal if so) including drone with the upgrade. Wife would kill me plus not good for kids.

Goal is to give it an aggressive exterior sound and look without feeling it inside the cabin.

I called Magnaflow as well and they said it would be slightly louder than stock but noise is all subjective from one person to the next which is true.

Would I be dissapointed (plus the wife getting pissed) if I went with this exhaust? Anyone have personal experience with it? What other options are there?

Many thanks in advance for the advise and guidance.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have that system on my Durango and my wife hates the noise inside the vehicle. It is loud, but not deafening like a Flowmaster 44. I have Dynomax mufflers on my Demon and Coronet R/T and they seem to be about the same as the Magnaflow. If you are looking for power I would get a set of headers with the cat-back,
FF

Old 02-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Electronut

Originally Posted by fascistfaction
I have that system on my Durango and my wife hates the noise inside the vehicle. It is loud, but not deafening like a Flowmaster 44. I have Dynomax mufflers on my Demon and Coronet R/T and they seem to be about the same as the Magnaflow. If you are looking for power I would get a set of headers with the cat-back,
FF
Thanks fascistfaction. I appreciate the quick and honest response. Sucks though. I hate the look of the stock exhaust. I was hoping to get sometime cosmetically better and add a nice tone without being intrusive in the cabin.

Im not looking to change much going the headers and cat-back. Just cat-back but I don't know if this can be accomplished without adding any interior cabin noise. Any suggestions?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:54 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

Flowmaster American Thunder Cat back 17400, very mello. I have it on my 08 as well as the 04.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Electronut

Originally Posted by MIKEon22s
Flowmaster American Thunder Cat back 17400, very mello. I have it on my 08 as well as the 04.
Thanks Mike. How does it compare to stock? Is it noticable inside the cabin? Any drone at lower rpms or HWY speeds?

I checked out and nice looking system. I like the dual tip outlet look. Description says it's moderate to aggressive however.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/sh...le=&orig=17400

Will this fit my 08'? It's described for years 04' - 07'?

I appreciate your feedback.

Flowmaster American Thunder Cat back 17400, very mello.
You sure Mike? Per Flowmaster details after further reading description on this system:

American Thunder systems deliver a moderate to aggressive interior and exterior tone and are suited to the enthusiast who wants their perfomance to be heard.

Last edited by Electronut; 02-01-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:21 AM
MIKEon22s
Captain

I don't find it annoying at all its a very mello sound. It doesnt produce the drone at 1700-2000 like many. It is louder with the additon of a CAI. It doent list it fitting my 2008 4.7 but they are all the same and if you consider other companies list the same part # for a 2004-2009

Old 02-02-2012, 08:28 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

I had a small inperfection in my rear bumper when I bought mine. I trimmed a little cutout to get a bit more room. I like it tucked in tight and its a bit adjustable with the hangers. Flowmaster says it fits 2007 so it is designed for the newer style bumper, the 2007 -2009 hanf down lower than the 2004-2006's.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Electronut

I had a small inperfection in my rear bumper when I bought mine. I trimmed a little cutout to get a bit more room. I like it tucked in tight and its a bit adjustable with the hangers. Flowmaster says it fits 2007 so it is designed for the newer style bumper, the 2007 -2009 hanf down lower than the 2004-2006's.

Good pics Mike. Thanks. Weird you had to cut on the 08'. Looks good though. I wouldnt want to have to do that on mine. I like it better close too.

I sent you a PM.

I really want no interior cabin noise if I do. Or nominal even.

The Magnaflow I installed on my 3.7 08' Jeep Grand Cherokee can get to me even when I drive long enough.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Electronut

Okay after some more research and investigation plus speakimg with both Magnaflow and Flowmaster directly, its not a good idea for me to go aftermarket with the undesirable cabin noise which will happen.

Im thinking cosmetic improvement at this point only. I was thinking to only install the rear portion of this exhaust (resonator end) to my stock exhaust. I would have a shop cut and weld on for me.

I emailed Magnaflow to see how I could get my hands on just this section of the exhaust and what the cost would be. Who knows, perhaps there could be impoved tonal change as a result.

Perhaps worth the exploration. Just a thought. We'll see.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Dramer77
Amateur

our muffler is in the rear, most aftermarket systems move the muffler up in the middle of the truck.. i dont think there would be that much added in cabin noise with the magnaflow, the flowmaster yea..lol its loud... i think you would be fine with the magnaflow.. your not gonna get and agressive sound without hearing it alittle inside at some point.. and when i say hearing it i dont mean being loud or rattling things inside the cabin.. i did alot of research on this as well.. and in general the magnaflow was said to not drone hardly at all and be pretty much everything you described.. id say go for it and see how it sounds.. its going to be noticable at first no matter how quiet it is being more agressive than stock.. after a week or 2 she prob wouldnt notice anymore

Quick Reply: 08' 5.7 Hemi and Magnaflow Catback #16779