2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

2004 Durango 5.7 turns over but no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 07:03 PM
durangatang04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PokerMunkee
Why not have them try to fix it? Towing it back home can't be cheap. I'd glady pay $200 for someone to fix it or tell me what's wrong than spending hours under the hood.

Interested to see what you find.

I don't know......just didn't want to risk a huge bill from the dealer.I don't really trust them anyway,and the towing was free.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:46 PM
durangatang04

Originally Posted by n8ech
DT04:

Sorry to hear of the setback.
Be careful poking around that power center with the battery connected.

There can be issues with the PDC as well as the fuel pump harness ground connection.

Don

Well,live and learn I guess. Don I should have taken your advice early on.
I had it towed back to the dealer because I just couldn't find what was causing the no start issue. I was even looking into the Sentry key being the problem. But the dealer checked that out and still wasn't it. After they dug around a little while it turns out it was in the PDC ( power distribution center). If you are wondering,it is the black (fuse box) under the hood that the silver module(FCM) is screwed to.
Total bill from the dealer was $548 and the PDC was $278.
And after looking around on here a little it seems that it may cause problems all over the vehicle. So don't ever rule it out I guess! .

Old 09-15-2012, 12:28 AM
PokerMunkee
Professional

Glad to hear she's up and running again. Sucks to spend $500 on your car, but every 7+ year old vehicle has parts that fail.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:07 PM
durangatang04

Just wanted to update this thread,the Durango has had the same no start problems since the last time I posted about the replacement of the PDC.

It has had two more PDCs replaced by the dealer because they thought the units were going "bad".It kept happing every few weeks and on this last attempt to replace another one they found three bad/corroded wires in the harness under the PDC box. These were replaced this time and so far so good. The service manager at the shop said that the techs should have caught that the first time and didn't charge us a dime.
So fingers crossed,it has been doing fine so far!

Old 09-12-2013, 10:50 AM
farnanlm

Originally Posted by durangatang04
Just wanted to update this thread,the Durango has had the same no start problems since the last time I posted about the replacement of the PDC.

It has had two more PDCs replaced by the dealer because they thought the units were going "bad".It kept happing every few weeks and on this last attempt to replace another one they found three bad/corroded wires in the harness under the PDC box. These were replaced this time and so far so good. The service manager at the shop said that the techs should have caught that the first time and didn't charge us a dime.
So fingers crossed,it has been doing fine so far!
I am having this same problem and a mechanic replaced 2 wires but then 2 days later it started having the slow to start and low idle. So frustrated. They are going to look again to see if they missed a wire or something

Old 11-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Eventplanner2012
Default My dodge turning but won't stay crank

My dodge turning but won't stay crank. Any suggestion

Old 11-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Eventplanner2012

Does anyone know what p0700 means on dodge durango

Old 07-09-2018, 09:44 AM
DannyDF
Amateur

this thread shows why i try to avoid dealerships...

their mechanics can misdiagnose stuff just like we can... then realize it after they caused you to spend a huge chunk of change... it may temporary run just because they jostled something but didn't fix the problem..
and you get a false sense of security and may be in danger if your car cuts off on some interstate or highway area where there are no shoulders.

currently either my fuel pump is bad or it's not getting juice with a break from the relay to the fuel pump.

My plan is to go under the driver side where I can access the wires running to the rear along the frame rail and splice in a connector on the dark blue w/ orange stripe power wire.
then i can see if power is at least getting that far back as i've seen more than one post about problems either at the bottom of the PDC or going down the firewall where you can't
reach. If i'm finding out that power is failing to reach that spot, i'm thinking i might as well wire in a fuel cut off security device switch.

If 12V is getting that far back, then i'm going to try to lower the tank a little and see if i can get to the connecter on the fuel pump and make sure that's making good contact.
If still no jooy keep going and replace the fuel pump.

we had the thing on jack stands in the rear and the durango came on after reaching for that connector and fiddling with it after lots of banging on the bottom and no start... it ran for a while
until we put it back on the ground and turned it off and wouldnt' start back up.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:53 PM
DannyDF
Amateur

Lol dammit. So I changed my fuel pump. If I run 12v to it it spins but doesn't start. I think when I turn the key it's not getting 12v. (it was getting 12v before i pulled the pump)

Now i see my obd2 isnt' working, power door locks are out and radio is out. I'm wondering if i blew my fcm or something.

I'm thinking i need to start over, check fuses. Then hit it with starting fluid to check for spark. Then go to the pdc and check fuel pump and asd contacts
for proper voltage. Since i checked fuses and didn't find any dead, i'm thinking i might need a forward control box/module..

I'm thinking it won't crank off starting fluid.. but if it does then i should be able to just run my own fused hot wire to the fuel pump and it should start.

If it doesnt' crank off fluid then i'm thinking the asd circuit isnt' being enabled by the pcm grounding it.

if the pcm isn't grounding it due to bad sensor (crank or camshaft) if i jumper the ASD circuit at the relay it should start right?

Also if it is the crank or camshaft sensor, is there a way to test which one it would be before pulling them? code reader? now i have ot figure out why my obd2 port isnt' powered up.

Last edited by DannyDF; 09-14-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:52 PM
DannyDF
Amateur

durango is running. old fuel pump didn't pump (the new old one) and i got a whole new assembly on ebay for about 40 bux. put that in she runs.

now i still have to get my radio back online and power door locks.

Quick Reply: 2004 Durango 5.7 turns over but no start