2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

2006 Dodge Durango TPMS light and Cargo Lamp Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 11:50 PM
poatman119
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2006 Dodge Durango TPMS light and Cargo Lamp Problem

Hello, I have a 2006 Dodge Durango with a continuous low tire pressure light on and cargo lamp problem. I have noticed this light came on after i left my headlights on and my battery died. I got a brand new battery and all works well except I now have to close my trunk twice every time i open it to get the Cargo Lamp light to turn off and I also have a bright yellow tire pressure light that lights my dash up like a christmas tree. The thing is, is all of my tires have plenty of air and I don't have a TPMS system installed. I've read online of a few other people with the same problem relating to the battery dying. I've had no luck in turning it off, The dealership couldn't get rid of the code and I even tried doing a dash reset and disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery and resetting the ECU. NO luck

Does anyone have any ideas or a way to get this light to go off? My car functions just fine.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:29 AM
roy rogers
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, I gotta laugh because I've been dealing with this since I bought my 04. I didn't know this problem also existed in the newer models. The short answer to this problem is that the only fix seems to be to go to the dealer and get him to reprogram the computer. Funny my truck of course doesn't have the tire pressure monitoring system, they didn't have them on the 04 Durangos from what i've read. My problem was the same, battery died, boosted - well you don't say you boosted yours - and the problem appeared. From what i've read that can happen again so I've never fixed it. Cost to fix around here - have the computer reprogrammed is $140, so I just live with it.

Good luck

rr

Last edited by 1969CoronetR/T; 05-24-2013 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Deleted opposing forum link
The following users liked this post:
Bert_5552 (08-04-2021)
Old 05-24-2013, 07:59 AM
DanaPotocki

Yes, I have the same problem. I haven't figured a fix yet, but I have had multiple times that I've been left stranded due to a dead (but test great) battery. I make sure now to shut the hatch twice if I use it.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:17 AM
tim harper
Default Cargo Lamp

I know its been awhile since you asked this question I was wondering if you ever found out the problem I have the exact same problem and its driving me insane???

Old 09-29-2019, 06:10 PM
David Birdsong

Following

Old 02-02-2020, 10:34 PM
06durangodriver
Default Another TPMS and Cargo Light story...

I have a 2006 Dodge Durango 5.7 which my wife bought used. It has several problems I have been working through one at a time. One of them is this issue where the CARGO LAMP dash indicator illuminates with a chime when you open and close the back, but goes away if you open and close it second time. I have also found that if you open and close the back only once but leave everything alone for a while, the problem does not occur. Also the TPMS light is illuminated, which seems to go with this problem as I have seen several other people report.

In fixing other stuff, I have disconnected the battery to reset stuff and have replaced some things.. Today I replaced the FCM. Things are coming together with the car, but I'm not exactly sure where to go with the TPMS/Cargo Lamp issue. Has anyone else conquered the issue yet?

Old 02-02-2020, 11:11 PM
David Birdsong

Originally Posted by 06durangodriver
I have a 2006 Dodge Durango 5.7 which my wife bought used. It has several problems I have been working through one at a time. One of them is this issue where the CARGO LAMP dash indicator illuminates with a chime when you open and close the back, but goes away if you open and close it second time. I have also found that if you open and close the back only once but leave everything alone for a while, the problem does not occur. Also the TPMS light is illuminated, which seems to go with this problem as I have seen several other people report.

In fixing other stuff, I have disconnected the battery to reset stuff and have replaced some things.. Today I replaced the FCM. Things are coming together with the car, but I'm not exactly sure where to go with the TPMS/Cargo Lamp issue. Has anyone else conquered the issue yet?
Did anything change after swapping the FCM? Was it a simple swap?

Old 02-03-2020, 12:00 PM
06durangodriver

Originally Posted by David Birdsong
Did anything change after swapping the FCM? Was it a simple swap?
no change after swapping FCM. It was a simple swap with a used part I found on eBay that has exact matching part numbers. The 2006 does not have TIPM so there is no flashing of firmware needed for FCM — plug and play. It’s also super convenient to get to and took me 15 minutes to swap. However, all the electronics in my car still seem to be working the same so no improvement.

I just put a code reader on the vehicle — there are no codes available to read or clear..

since my car doesn’t have TPMS (as far as I can tell they didn’t even offer it in this model year), I’m wondering if there is a way to just remove the bulb in the console for this indicator.. that doesn’t solve the cargo lamp issue though. This also was not an option interested model year but there is more than the light. There is also a chime that is very annoying. I saw a “fix” for this on YouTube where a guy removed the purple wire from a connector on the back gate. I haven’t researched yet what else that wire might be for...

Old 12-19-2022, 07:05 PM
Lacy82
Default Same problem

My 2004 just started doing this today, thanks for the info about closing the back twice, Im going to try that now.

Old 12-19-2022, 07:31 PM
06durangodriver
Default Never fixed but it doesn’t bother me…

I did more research on this but never followed up here — I think the issue is caused by a recall related to electrical overloads and fires in the instrument panel. Durangos manufactured in 2004-2006 were included in the recall and mine had a new instrument panel installed. I believe the new part comes from a newer Durango model (2007) because it includes the TPMS functionality which wasn’t an option in 2004-2006 models… I’m guessing they programmed the replacement to ignore the missing TPMS but one time when my battery died whatever settings they put in were reverted to factory default, and so the problem started. The panel is looking for TPMS but there is none so it lights up… Did your Durango get repaired for that recall? If not, my theory is wrong.. also did you have a dead or replaced battery when this started?

If my theory about the recall and new instrument panel is right, I suspect a dealer could find the recall repair instructions and reprogram the instrument panel. They will charge you $$ and it will just happen again next time there’s a battery problem. it’s not a safety or functionality problem so I just live with it and it’s no big deal.

best of luck with your Durango. Let us know what worked or didn’t!

Originally Posted by Lacy82
My 2004 just started doing this today, thanks for the info about closing the back twice, Im going to try that now.

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Durango TPMS light and Cargo Lamp Problem