2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

bearings or oil pump 2007 4.7l dodge durango

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 04:53 PM
gmoney007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bearings or oil pump 2007 4.7l dodge durango

took it to the dealer the engine light and oil lamp was on dealer said service engine light error code p562which means system voltage low and the engine oil dipstick was broke off and was way in the back by the firewall they had to replace the tube and engine oil dipstick which is 6 hrs of labor that took care of the service engine light but the oil lamp still comes on as if its low in pressure when i drive it the engine sounds loud when i get up to 50 to 65mph and even at start up the engine sounds loud until it idles down only 65000 miles on it

Last edited by gmoney007; 11-26-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:57 AM
treyk64
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar oil light issue with my 2005 Durango at about 160K miles. My situation did not include the dipstick problem you described.

I did take to the dealership in this case and they were clearly concerned about the bearings. Had it been bearings, you basically looking at an engine rebuild. The only way to know apparently is to take oil samples and test for metal fragments in the oil.

Fortunately for my Durango, no metal fragments (only high blood pressure waiting to find out). Faulty oil pump was the issue due to build up on the oil screen that apparently blocked circulation and killed the pump. As I'm pretty good about oil changes, I was told to ensure I used oils with detergents in it to make sure oil clogs are minimized to maintain proper oil circulation and not kill the oil pump. This all gets into conversations about putting in a small amount of Automatic transmission fluid in with the regular oil as transmission fluid has a bunch of detergents in it. I have not yet taken that step as I'm not sure I'm sold on that.

Trey

Old 01-12-2018, 08:33 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by gmoney007
took it to the dealer the engine light and oil lamp was on dealer said service engine light error code p562which means system voltage low and the engine oil dipstick was broke off and was way in the back by the firewall they had to replace the tube and engine oil dipstick which is 6 hrs of labor that took care of the service engine light but the oil lamp still comes on as if its low in pressure when i drive it the engine sounds loud when i get up to 50 to 65mph and even at start up the engine sounds loud until it idles down only 65000 miles on it
Safe to say with no dipstick, the oil wasn't being checked and was possibly run low. So yeah, it could very well be the bearings, as the oil pump usually lasts longer than 65K. How long had it been that way?

Originally Posted by treyk64
I was told to ensure I used oils with detergents in it to make sure oil clogs are minimized to maintain proper oil circulation and not kill the oil pump. This all gets into conversations about putting in a small amount of Automatic transmission fluid in with the regular oil as transmission fluid has a bunch of detergents in it.
All motor oils (made for automobiles) have detergents in them. The only non detergents are straight weight oils for specific equipment such as air compressors, etc. That said, some detergent oils clean better than some and I'd definitely use full synthetic over conventional.

Something is missing though... if you were good about changing the oil, there is no way the screen should have clogged. Were you also checking the oil between changes? When a vehicle habitually runs low on oil, the dirt becomes concentrated. Respectfully, I'm saying there had to be some bad maintenance somewhere for either of your engines to get to that point, whether that be you, or previous owners.

If your oil pump was changed, then the screen was cleaned too. At this point, I would run some of that 5 minute motor flush through it, then change the oil and filter. Save some old oil so you can change it twice right after the flush, and change the filter with fresh oil on the 2nd change. That gets rid of all the solvent residue. If both of you have doubts about oil pressure, remove the pressure switch and hook up a physical oil pressure gauge.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 01-12-2018 at 08:39 AM.

Quick Reply: bearings or oil pump 2007 4.7l dodge durango