2008 Durango 5.7 V8

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 01:27 PM
jlebsack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Durango 5.7 V8

Thinking about buying a 2008 Durango Limited with the 5.7 V8
It has 94,000 miles currently on it.

How much longer until this engine goes out.
Is it even worth buying with this many miles?

They want $11,000
Says its had regular maintenance but its a used car dealership so who knows if that's true.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:30 AM
notsofast
Rookie

I know it's probably too late but maybe someone else gets in the same situation. We test drove a 2005 Durango and liked it but it had a lift and lots of miles so I searched for many months for a clean one. I had read about the hemi problems so I called a couple hemi performance shops around the country and one said they never heard of problems. The others said that the problems were fixed by 2005.
I found a 2006, Limited, Hemi with 100,000 miles at a dealer. Previous owner left their insurance card in glovebox so I called her. She said it was a great truck but they got rid of it when their neighbor showed them their new Acadia and they liked that better. This was a one owner Durango with all maint done at the same dealership including every scheduled oil change. No rust so I bought it. 3 weeks later I shut it off at the local Dodge dealer and run into parts counter. 5 minutes later I come out and the engine destroys itself when I try to start it. It now has a new Jasper engine. I would never buy a hemi anything ever again, no matter what year.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:40 PM
BSBen

Have had an 08 Durango for a few years (5?) got it at 112,000. Has been pretty much problem free for all but the last 3000 of 60K miles we put on it.
The issues are few...but painful to fix, but have not effected performance.
1. Lost Deactivation solenoid #7 (replaced all 4, but still have a corroded or broken wire, MDS disabled (everyone seems to HATE MDS, so no biggie and no noticible change in MPG's and still get nearly 18 at 63/64mph on local roads.)
2. Small Vaccum Leak/Gascap error - likely this is a corroded locking ring on the fuel pump, seems pretty common, specially in great Salted roadways in WI. Soon to have smoke test done and will know for sure.
3. Hemi Tick - 2 broken bolts on passenger side header. big whoop.

Other issues are environmental (well, so are the others I guess) but, rusted rear wheel wells, not bad, except on the passenger side when a dang tree stepped out in front of me when I was backing up. Slight rust at the bottom of the doors. Rusted exhaust flex tube.

Otherwise, very responsive and lets you know when you hammer it in the passing lane (gotta be a ticket in the making! ) I only used AMES 5W20 and replace the filter every 3K and oil every 6K.

I'm also getting ready to sell it cause we're buying an 07 Ram 1500 5.7 with 63K... I'm a truck guy and this SUV is cramping my limited style. If I was going to keep the D, I'd expect it to hit 200+ if not quite a bit more. I don't baby the engine, but I also don't abuse the crap out of it either.

Like everything automotive, you roll the dice, sometimes you crap out, most times you won't. The last car I traded out of had 280K. First think I would do, and still do, is replace the oil (IDC what the dealer says) and have transmission serviced, fluid and filter...start off on the right **** and roll the dice.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:36 AM
DannyDF
Amateur

Let me guess it was raining?

Quick Reply: 2008 Durango 5.7 V8