2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Starts up and instantly dies

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 05:10 PM
Ryan Lakey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starts up and instantly dies

Hello. I have an 06 durango 4.7, lately when I go to start my truck it instantly dies (maybe one second) it takes a few tries but will eventually fire up and everything is normal and idels just fine. I can shut is off after is running and will fire back up. Usually only messes up after sitting for 8+ hours and sometimes it doesn't act up then. I hear the fuel pump kick on every time. So far I have replaced the battery, fuel pump relay, starter relay and ignition switch all to no prevail. Does not throw up any warning codes. Haven't taken it in yet because it doesn't act up all the time.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:43 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

This particular forum is for 2011 and newer Durangos so you may not get a lot of help here. But if I'm not mistaken, crankshaft position sensors were a rather common issue on older Mopar V8s that could cause stalling at random times and trouble at cold start.

-Rod

Old 02-21-2019, 05:57 PM
Ryan Lakey

Originally Posted by SHO Rod
This particular forum is for 2011 and newer Durangos so you may not get a lot of help here. But if I'm not mistaken, crankshaft position sensors were a rather common issue on older Mopar V8s that could cause stalling at random times and trouble at cold start.

-Rod
Thank you. I realized my mistake after I already posted it. Wouldn't the crank shaft sensor throw up the check engine light?

Old 02-22-2019, 01:48 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The CKP sensor would set a diagnostic code if it was a hard failure, but if it's intermittent (like yours is) it may not cause the check engine light to illuminate. Do you have access to a scan tool that can pull pending codes and monitor the datastream?

-Rod

Old 02-22-2019, 04:08 PM
Ryan Lakey

I unfortunately do not. Last time I was at the auto parts store I had them scan the vehicle to see if maybe there was any stored codes but it didn't pull anything up.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:13 PM
David Birdsong

I had this happen once, Ended up being my key fob and fob battery was shot.

Quick Reply: Starts up and instantly dies